Mirtazapine withdrawal or what is this hell!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Was on mirt for 3 weeks.... 15mg.. then tapered for 4 days to 7.5mg . The doctor then switched me to Fluxotine 20mg (stopped taking Mirt) first 3 days I was fine ... nothing at all.. no side effects Day 4 ... vomiting, nausea, shaking, sweating, can't eat a thing, insomnia ... I stopped the fluxotine thinking it was that but now I'm still the same & now Day 6 .. I can't even have a cigarette without vomiting.

This is a mirt withdrawal??? If so how long will this last?? Seriously I can't cope!!!

Doctors have said it's stomach flu... but I don't think it is...

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Ohman

It is Mirt withdrawal.  There are a lot of people on this forum all struggling with mirt withdrawal and all with the same symptoms.  I say this because I was on 15mg of mirt for a period of 6 months.  I stopped cold turkey on 31 May.  I have been off it for 9 weeks and I suffer with crippling insomnia.  I know it's the mirt withdrawal because I'm NOT taking any other AD and before I took mirt I never had insomnia.  I was on mirt more for anxiety.  I had the migraine headaches, bouts of flu-like symptoms, nausea and loss of appetite.  Most of those symptoms have gone now but sadly the insomnia is still hanging on.  It's difficult to say exactly how long the withdrawal lasts.  Everyone is different but I can't imagine your symptoms should last for as long as mine as you say you were only taking it for 3 weeks.  I would go back to your gp.  Stopping any of these ADs like I have done cold turkey is not a good idea.  Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hi ohman:  Mirt usually takes up to 2-3 weeks before it's beneficial effects are felt.  Before you could feel the positive effects of Mirt, doc put you on Prozac -- a different class of medication which also can have starting side effects .  I think what is happening now is your body is attempting to rid itself of both since you are no longer taking them.  You were on such small doses of both and took them for such a short time, I suspect that within the next 10 days those nasty feelings will diminish.  IMO, it's a good thing that you can't smoke cause your body does not need to have to deal with nicotine while trying to rid itself of the meds.  I'm sorry you are feeling so terrible but know that it will pass shortly.  What you must do now is STOP worrying about the symptoms (unless you have a fever - then call the doc).  Worry brings stress and stress increases side effects of withdrawal.  Relax and treat yourself to something you really enjoy.  I hope you feel better real soon.  Hang in there cause it's going to get better.  Trust me, I speak from experience with both of these meds.  I wish you well.

• Posted

Thank you!

Yeah I started feeling like this whilst on the Fluxotine so your probably right it's a combination.. but a painful one I'll tell you!

Worst part is I have 2 children & work.

Work looks like it's out of the picture....

And right now I don't want to take any

Medications again....

So glad to these forums...

• Posted

Tomorrow, I'm dropping Mirt from 15 mgs. to 7.5.  It took me a month to tapper from 30 to 15.  I was seeing things out of the corner of my eyes and felt like my brain was wadded cotton.  Not looking forward to the coming week but I want off Mirt.  I've been on Mirt for over 20 years and I think its beneficial effects have stopped working.  Doc wants me on Cymbalta saying that I can drop Mirt right away and he likes the med which is suppose to be an antidepressant, antianxiety and antipan.  Sounds like a wonder drug.  We'll see.

• Posted

You can do this!!!

20 years of being on Mirt, wow... I've heard omega 3 is great for reducing doses.... have to admit I miss the sleeping side of it.... insomnia sucks so bad!

Oh I hope that Cymbalta works for you!!! Are you going to cross taper between meds?

• Posted

Hi again.  I'm going to get completely off Mirt and stay off for at least a month before I try Cymbalta.  Maybe two months -- I'll see how I feel once I'm off Mirt.  Working with doc on this.  No cross taper cause I don't want to get into that bag where there is uncertainty which med may be causing side effects.  Been in that trap before.

• Posted

Oh definately!!! Like me currently!!!

Saw my doc today- he had no idea what's going on with me & just told me to take Valium 2mg twice a day.... he is sure it's a virus....

Seems your doctor has you in his best interest which is soooooooo helpful!

Where abouts are you in the world?

I'm in a australia

• Posted

Hello again ohman:  

I'm in Chicago are in the state of Illinois  USA  We have excellent (albe it expensive) health care in my area.  I'm in walking distance to a community hospital and 8 minutes away from a university medical center.

Tonight, I'm starting on the Mirt 7.5 mgs dose -- down from 15.  I hope I sleep.

Feel better soon.  Drink lots of water -- flush out that virus.

• Posted

Hey!!!

It's definately not a virus... really thinking it's a mixture of both meds... so I'm going to start taking some detox stuff to get this out of my body...

oh I wish you well.... I slept pretty good going down to 7.5mg... I'm sure you'll be okay.. bets this horrible insomnia I'm having... 3 days of it.. I just can't cope any more!

• Posted

Hi Ohman, 

Mirt seems to be in ts own league in terms of withdrawal. From what I have read in this forum and my own experience ,  it should be taken off the market. Your list of symptoms does seem quite severe but I'm out of my depth in terms of advice. 

I would recommend getting back on Fluoxetine or some Antidepressant and try and get back to a stable situation. Perhaps your GP could prescribe diazapam and or a sleeping tablet to help you through this crisis. Life is hard sometimes Ohman, but there are lots of us out there with mental health issues of all variations, so you are not alone. 

• Posted

Hey drew17,

Thank you!

Doctor has advised I stop all meds... which is fine by me at the moment.. they don't know which caused the issue... mirt withdrawal or fluxotine side effects.

I'm now experiencing disturbed vision which isn't the greatest!!

I also had slight swelling of the face (they think that's fluxotine) but I'm just baffled as to why it took 4 days to feel like this.. as I said first 3 days were great- my last dose of Mirt was on the Monday night (7.5mg) and started fluxotine on the Wednesday - Wednesday was great, Thursday was great, Friday was great... Saturday BOOM!!!

But I'll get there in time, just crappy not knowing what's going on.

• Posted

I am having a hard time trying to come off mirtazapine.  You said you had experience of this.  I really dont want to try any other as imhave had side effects from nausea to anxiety to zombie feelings on them.  The only one i tolerated was mirtaz, but now after a couple of years i am trying to lower.  It is awful.  Is is normal to have insomnia with nightmares inbetween snoozes?  My head is just awful.  Have only just dropped from 15 some nights to 7.5.  Dont know how to proceed. Gp,says halve it weekly, others say it takes much longer.

any views would be helpful

• Posted

Hi Ann.

I guess my first question would why try and come off Mirt if you cannot tolerate other AD's. 

A D' s seem to have this myth that they are short term remedies but it would appear for many people to be long term medication.

I think Mirt is a very questionable drug and seems to generate issues different from the rest?......I think it should be withdrawn!.

However saying that , if 15mg of Mirt has been helping you with your life then why rock the boat and start reducing to 7.5 when it is making you ill.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.