Mirtazapine withdrawal palpitations

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I just came off Mirt for the third time. I was told to stop it by my cardiologist, as I was having heart rhythm problems. Today is 27 days since the last pill taken. After about a week, I started having frequent palpitations, and they are uncomfortable, a little scarey, and are causing anxiety. The only other real problem that I am having is abdominal cramps / spasms / bloating. Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My heart palpitations have increased since weaning from 30mg mirtazapine to my current dose of 3.75mg although I am not that sure if it is due to withdrawal. I often have periods when my palpitations are worse than others including when I was on the full 30mg of mirt. I am inclined to think the palpitations are harmless (for me at least). The past two days have been better. If you are worried then I think you need to go back to your cardiologist. I hope that you manage to come off the mirt successfully this time. You have had such an awful time of it.
    • Posted

Evergreen, I failed to state in my previous reply. One way or the other I'm off this time. My cardiologist saw something in my EKG that prompted him to tell me to "get off the Remeron". So, that is all there is to it. You are right, I didn't realize that you were familiar with my history of WD hell, I have had an awful time of it. In addition to the torment, there were trips to the hospital ER, diagnostic tests, loss of weight that caused me to have to buy more clothes. I have health insurance, but my part was over $3,000. Here it is almost a year later, and the stuff has still got a grip on my quality of life!
  • Posted

Daviviewd

I have been having heart palpitations since being put on Mirt. I spoke to the Doc about it and he said it is just anxiety. My cardiologist says there is no evidence to suggest Mirt can cause palpitations. It sounds as though your Cardiologist has a different view.  Am interested to hear he suggested you stop !

• Posted

All you have to do is google Remeron. go to rxlist, ad read the cardiovascular side effects. This is my third attempt t getting off mirt and they all were heart side effects. Your doctor can say what he wants, I have lived it. Godspeed to your health recovery!
  • Posted

Hey there Dave. Sorry to hear about th ope your doing well. I have been off mirt for 70 days now. I feel like I'm going through hell. Been to the er a couple of times too. Do you think I'm still having wd's? I lost so much weight and fell out of touch with reality. I dont feel like myself at all. I'm in a fog and something seems off. Just thought i would ask you if you think I'm still withdrawing from the mirt...Sorry you had such a hard time..I'm with you. Thank's so much.God Bless you Brother...
    • Posted

Richie, first, I am so sorry to hear of yet another victim of mirt withdrawal (WD. 70 days is just over 2 months. What was your dose? How long did your take it? How did you go about getting off the stuff? The withdrawals that I have been through are the worse misery that I have ever been through. I felt all the things that you have mentioned and more. You are asking my opinion, and at 70 days I would say that you could very well be in the worse part of the WD. It was for me. As you may already know, no two people WD the same, so again it is just my opinion. I am 62, and a retired fire battalion chief, and it was the sickest that I had ever been in my life. I am still having symtoms, but much less severe.I lost over 30 pounds, and lost touch too, as I didn't feel like going anywhere or talking to anyone, which isn't how you should handle it. I also went to the ER a number of times thinking at times that I was dying because of the pain and weakness. I wish that I knew something to tell you that would be uplifting, but if you have a resource that deals with drug addiction, they may be able to help you. God Bless you Brother as well. Don't be surprised at just about anything you feel, as this drug can give you every symptom there is. If at anytime you feel like you need to go to the ER, then by all means go. Just because you are in withdrawal doesn't mean that you can't have other health issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.