Mirtazapine withdrawal so far

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey All,

Thought i'd give an update on my journey so far coming off Mirt. I reduced from 30mg to 15mg for 2 weeks. This was pretty hard going as withdrawals come quickly within 2 days of reducing. Unfortunately there isnt alot you can do but ride them, and keep telling yourself they will pass. I found myself pushing myself to get to the evening to take the 15 my body desperately craved. Eventually I found this subsided and I went onto my next stage of 15/7.5 alternate nights. This too turned into a can of worms, bringing headaches from one day to the next. After a week at this i found myself getting so irritated I decided to just drop to the 7.5 and see how I go. Currently on day 4 of the 7.5. Headaches seemed to have gone away and the anxiety has eased down a bit.So where am I, well hopefully one step closer to being off this med. How do i feel? I'd love to say good, but days are filled with the knowledge I am withdrawing keeping me aware of things that could go wrong...But to sum up, just over 4 weeks ago a Dr had told me to stay on the 30 dose and ride it. I was waking with a hangover, having anxiety to the point of it leading into a panic attack, emotions all over the place. So have to say, i would rather be where I am now on a meger 7.5 than where i was on 30. Hope this is of some help to other suffers. One final thing to add, when i took citalopram years ago it cured my depression completely and never had ongoing issues, with Mirt to be fair it cured my depression but then seemed to turn on me the longer I stayed on it

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Craig, my only advice to you at this point is be tough, and fight each battle as it presents itself. That is all any of us can do, as this drug effects us all, going on and coming off, in different ways. David
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience Craig!

I just stopped taking 15mg Mirt and replaced it immediately with a similar drug that works the same way, but doesnt have the weight gain issues .

I am worried of course to go through withdrawal.... it's good to know what to brace for.

Hang in there buddy ! You can do it!

• Posted

I had a week without Mirtazipine due to my own error with not re ordering and was absolute hell irritable to the point that I couldn't sleep and was as low and miserable as ever whether it's a psychological thing of not taking it having the 'placebo' effect good for you continuing definitely takes will power and determination
  • Posted

Courage is doing something right, that may be dangerous, very unpleasant, cost you something dear to you, or painful. All things considered, coming off Remeron (mirtazapine) takes courage. So Craig, and anyone else who reads this, most people who are prescribed this medicine have no idea what they are getting into, and in some cases neither does the doctor, and when it hits the fan the innocent patient has a house of horrors to go through, and without a safety belt. My 2 cents worth. Good luck Craig, and I wish you courage! Today started 9 weeks for me, and it has been a bad day! I still don't know when the sun will shine again, but right now, I don't expect tomorrow to be any better. If it is, then thank you Jesus.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.