Mirtazapine withdrawal symptoms OR morning sickness?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi All, I've recently been trying to cut down on mirtazapine as I am now 10 weeks pregnant and have been advised to do so by my GP. I went from 45mgs to 30mgs with no problems but felt horrendous when I went from 30 to 15 alternate days (at around 7 weeks). I felt nauseated - I couldn't even look at food, never mind eat it. Going back to 30 mgs for a week got rid of that feeling completely. I'm now using a liquid solution to cut down by 1.5mgs every few days but am feeling really ill. I have cold sweats, hot sweats and nausea and this gets worse between 5 and 10pm. I tend to take my mirtazapine at 10pm and within half an hour I'm OK. No-one seems to take me seriously when I say it's the mirtazapine and not the pregnancy that's making me feel like this. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or tips on how to get though it?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It is very likely that your pregnancy is causing the nausea and sickness. I had bad nausea up to twelve weeks of pregnancy. However saying that nausea can be a symptom of mirtazapine withdrawal too. Try not to get dehydrated. Eat little and often and even small sips of liquid will help. Lemonade will help the nausea and so will sucking on ice but crush it up (or get someone to do it for you) Ginger cubes sucked will also help. I have suffered terrible withdrawal symptoms from mirtazaine and I think the best advice is to continue with the withdrawal programme that the doctor has given you. It wont be easy and I had to have several goes to come off it. Having said that I am taking the mirtazapine again as I have had a relapse. You have the added incentive that you are pregnant and carrying a healthy baby and not to lose sight of that or let anything come in the way.
  • Posted

7 weeks I think is about the worst time for morning sickness so it could be a combination of the pregnancy and withdrawing from the mirt. I've also read that mirt is sometimes prescribed as an anti-nausea drug in pregnancy... don't know if anyone else has read this. Could explain why you feel better as soon as you start taking it. Also our mind plays tricks on us sometimes and you can sometimes feel better just because you think you will. Does your dr. say it's ok to have in pregnancy? I am on 15mg following v. bad post natal depression, am wondering if I need to come off it if I decide to have another baby?
  • Posted

I'm not female, but one of the the tale tale signs of mirt withdrawal is NAUSEA. I have a cast iron stomach and eat alot. That all stopped with this withdrawal, I've lost over 15lbs. and I don't like it one bit...
  • Posted

Thanks for all the info and tips! I suppose I'll never know which one is causing the nausea...

Starlight... my doc checked with the British National Formulary and was told that they have 400 documented cases of people taking mirtazapine in pregnancy with no problems. However as I've been well (not depressed) for some time, they recommended coming off it. My worry was that the baby will be born and suffer withdrawals after birth. If we feel this rubbish from cutting down, how on earth would a newborn feel? My doc also said that there are other safe antidepressants they routinely prescribe during pregnancy if I had a relapse. If I were you I'd see your GP about switching drugs or stopping if that's appropriate before you get pregnant again. The stress of trying to stop taking it and worrying about pregnancy at the same time has not been much fun!

• Posted

Thanks Ellaitch, that's helpful. Good to know that there have been a lot of cases of mirt being ok in pregnancy, but as you say best to come off it if possible. I think I am some way off trying for another pregnancy and I'm still not even sure if I want to as the post natal depression was so awful I don't think I could go through it again.

Withdrawing from the mirt sounds a nightmare. I am still only on 15mg ...my psych wants to increase to 30mg but I said no way! I am still trying to get off olanzapine which I've been on for over a year now. Got down to 1.5mg every other night now which I know is a tiny amount it's ridiculous but yet whenever I stop it I get terrible insomnia. Sometimes you wonder if it's even worth taking these drugs for all the problems they cause!

• Posted

I agree that the withdrawals are as difficult to cope with as the original illness. I had terribly difficulty coming off mirtazapine with serious anxiety and panic attacks. The second time I came off it I used diazapan to help with the panic and anxiety. As I have had a relapse I am back on mirtazapine at 30mg. It caused bad weight gain before ( I gained a stone and a half).I am trying to keep a check of my weight and succeeding. Mirtazapine is one of the few anti depressants that I can tolerate. I have come off dothiepin after long term use. I have previously taken seroxat and duloxetine. I am fully aware of the trouble I might be storing up in withdrawal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.