Mirtazapine Withdrawal Tinnitus

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

After 2 months of Mirtazapine I asked the Doctor to come off. I tapered down to quarter of tablet. A few days after stopping I got Tinnitus noise at the back of my head and left ear which went on for 3 days.

Rang doctors and he said go back on it. The noise went away which is not much use as I am trying to get off it.

Has anyone had tinnutus noise after withdrawing from Mirtazapine and how long did you have it?

Many thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes that is quite common I have read ... I have ringing also and I quit with a very slow taper 5 weeks ago.  I ignore it, simply because I know what it is.  It takes quite a long time to grow a new brain !!  Or for the brains neurotransmitters to rectify.

If you read up Dr Joseph Glenmullen, you can see its listed as No. 51 of 58 WD symptoms ...   ...   ... crazy !  Your doctor may not know much about WD, not many have the necessary training to advise on WD, even P.docs it seems.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So it looks like I will have to suffer it for a while to let my brain recover if I want to get off the drug. Looked up Dr Joseph Glenmullen very interesting. I wish I had never start ADs. I was desperate for sleep and anxiety relief. Doctors didn't explain the can of worms I was about to open. 

thanks. I hope you recover soon

• Posted

Hi,  yes, it was a blessing from heaven taking Mirt for me in the beginning, no more anxiety and the ability to sleep again, bliss !!  But coming off it was a calculated trial !

Hope you feel well soon too.

• Posted

I know this is an old post but wonder if your tinnitus left for good? I am so hoping it did. Like you, I was desperate for sleep and listened to my doc. So very sorry now, I have tinnitus after using 15 mg of mirtazapine for sleep for 2 weeks.
    • Posted

My Tinnitus is still with me (6 months later). I have however learnt to live it with it and it very rarely gets in the way of me living a normal happy life. You have to retrain your brain to ignore it. The key is to have no emotional response attached to it. I used hypnosis, meditation and one to one therapy for just 4 weeks (as well as background ambient sound during that period) and it turned everything around for me. Now I only really notice it in a very quiet room or last thing at night and first thing in the morning. Sleeping is fine.

• Posted

Hi,

Unfortunately, the tinnitus related to Mirtazapine remains forever and only you can reduce it by taking Paxil (Paroxetine). Be careful regarding the sexual side effects of Paxil that may include: decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.

If it reduced your tinnitus, continue taking Paxil for up to 6 months to stay in the same state.

I hope to be useful.

• Posted

14 months on mirtazapine. The last two weeks included constant anxiety turning into psychosis. Cold turkey = lots of pain and bad sleep, hypnagogic hallucinations. Anxiety stopped over night. Constant tinnitus since... a year ish. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.