Mirtazapine withdrawal update and some questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All

Started taking Escitalopram(10mg), Clonazepam (0.5 mg) and Mirtazapine(7.5 mg) in May 2015 . Below is my tapering update

Clonazepam(0.5) - Tapered after 1 year 

Escitalopram(10mg) - tapered after 1 year 4 months

Mirtazapine(7.5 mg) - reduced the dosage to 3.75 mg after 20 months usage on January 18 and started feeling withdrawal from 26th January. Withdrawal symptoms include insomnia, Anxiety, and strange feeling within the body. Increased my dosage from 3.75 mg to 11.25 mg for 2 months but I didn't feel better so decided to come off this medication. Started tapering 11.25 from April 1st this year and now I am taking 0.4-0.9 mg alternate days. The only day I slept properly in these six months was when I took cetirizine this month. I started taking some herbs and vitamin supplements and they did help. Below are my queries:

Q1 : I have started taking 5HTP (50 mg) from today onwards. What are the withdrawal symptoms of this supplement?

Q2 : I am going to USA for my higher studies on 26 July. Shall I increase my Mirt dose there to overcome Jet Lag?

Q3 : Can I carry mirtazapine pills from India to USA? Will customs officers allow me to enter with these pills?

PS : Sometimes I think that I was so happy on 7.5 mg mirtazapine and I should not have messed up with my dosage. And please don't suggest that I should consult my GP because she doesn't believe in antidepressants withdrawal. She thinks that everything is in my head. I believe these doctors should try taking these drugs then they will come to know about AD withdrawal.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Why customs officers should even care about your presribed medication? Myrt is not an illegal substance, and you have prescription... also, I doubt you should increase doze to overcome jet lag as sedation is less when doze is higher..
  • Posted

Hi Rish.Really can't give you much advice on any of your questions,but definately agree about GP and withdrawals.I live in the US and though my psyc/doc did say there is some withdrawal and stablization when changing meds she didn't say how long it would take and how it changes your body chemistry,etc.I started on Mirt about 7 months ago 15mg going up to 30mg about 5 months ago.Also added Gabapetin starting at 200mg in Feb going up to 600mg by April.At the same time I was being weaned off of Paxil 20mg twice a day,which I had been taking for about 20 years.I also was put on Tramadol 50mg twice a day during this period.My pain for IBS and back is better but my anxiety/depression is up and down every day! You can never tell whether it's the meds,stress(our company was bought out about 2 years ago and we switched to the other companies system last Sept.,and it's no coicidence I started having problems in Oct.Hope you feel better and I'll pray all works out for you.Hang in there and God Bless You! Bob

• Posted

Thanks for the wishes Bob. As far as I know, it is very hard to come off Paxil because of it's short half life. My wishes are with you and I hope you will star feeling better.

• Posted

Hi rish:  I can't address all your questions but I'm not one to take chances with meds.  I would have a physician's note for all script meds to show at customs if you are asked (would your doc give you such a note?).  If you can't get a note, don't sweat it -- just print information about it to show what it is.   I would not increase Mirt for jet lag.  The med takes a while to begin working and that time depends on how your system handles it.  I would also look up drug interactions between Mirt and 5HTP -- both react on serotonin receptors in your brain. Not saying there's a prob. just a thot since you are taking such low doses.  I looked at the bottle of 5HTP and if I was a customs official and you were pulled out of line for a med check, I would question it.  You can buy it in US OTC and it's not that expensive (go to wedmd net site for side effects).  Hope this has been of some help to you. 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. My doctor is ready to give me prescription for 2 months. I think I need not to worry then. My doctor has no clue about 5htp so I started self medicating with this supplement. One of the article states that 5htp increases serotonin but reduces dopamine. So I was worried about taking this supplement. Anyways thanks for the advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.