Mirtazapine withdrawal using prozac bridge

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey All,

I am currently withdrawing from Mirtazapine and have to say its not been easy. I have managed to get down to 15mg for the last 2 weeks but everyday I feel lousy. I wouldnt say a depressed lousy just rough, like the days are an effort. My doctor has offered me something called the Prozac bridge, and I am asking if anyone has used this successfully. From what i'm told you start taking the Prozac as you decrease the mirt dose, and hopefully as the mirt leaves your system the prozac cushions the withdrawal, then you kep taking the prozac, wait to stabilise and then wean off the Prozac, which apparently is a darn site easier than getting off the Mirt. Any success stories would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Craig hi ...

No I for one have never heard of the Prozac Bridge ..but reading how you've explained ..it makes some sense.

The following is just a thought (it stands a chance that I'm incorrect ...but sometimes from one even bad thought or idea sprouts a good one).

Clearly there are a number ..quite a large number of different approaches to coming off Mirtazapine Craig. I think having read many of your posts ...you are going to be one of those individuals who no matter what the approach you are going to have some withdrawal. I mean you are going to feel some level of lousyness no matter what you do. I doubt you'll find the perfect trouble free solution.

So accepting this ..you can better prepare before biting whichever bullet (approach) you opt for.

Its like knowing a punch is coming ..so better to know accept it and then prepare by clenching your tummy muscles. Yes you'll feel it ..but it won't be as bad as you've accepted your gonna accept some pain/discomfort.

Without opting for one approach (whichever you decide or believe is thecleast worst) and going for it with all your might/resolve and optimism (i know, easier ssid than done ..but remember you report not having depression right now ..a BIG BIG positive in your fsvour) ..you may be caught in the land of comtemplation and being faced each day with yet another new way to come off.

Now IF this Prozac Bridge after doing your research and chatting with your GP/doctor seems a good bet ...THEN maybe you should bite the bullet. And focus with all your might on the day say 2weeks or 1month from now when you can be on here telling people you used to take Mirtazapine but no more!

Just my humble thoughts ...but Craig easy for me to say but only you walk in your shoes. I just want to see you feeling better and off a drug you want rid of!

Much peace AND strength ...

• Posted

thanks Karl for your as always great advice and comfort
    • Posted

Just thoughts Craig ...sometimes I feel its a case of the blind leading the blind as I have often struggled ...even questioned my existence. But there's one thing that unites us on here and that's we all know what anxiety/poor mental health/depression/suffering is; call it what you like. We all have been there ..done that ..and have the t-shirt (and not even family or our friends/colleagues or neighbours no matter how much they say they understand and care can say claim that).

Craig no matter what the approach I and others are wishing you the very best of outcomes. We aint there ...but we care!

Focus on that little light at the end of the tunnel ...

Wishing you a peaceful night and better day tomorrow!

• Posted

It didn't work for me, but everyone is different, Craig. Keep us posted and I wish you all the best.
  • Posted

Prozac is really a lot easier to come off of. So yes - if your doctor thinks it could help you, go for it!!

I've been on prozac for 8 years until it pooped out, now I'm on Sertraline, Wellbutrin, mirtazapine and clonazepam.... yikes... feell like a junkie.

• Posted

Wondering how you got on currently took my last mirt 7.5mg 4 days ago and started sertraline today at small dose of 25mg for week then up to 50mg. I feel like crap but cm don't know me if it's wd or start up effects of new meds tbh think it's a mixture of both lol. Was this successful as I'm hoping sertraline will bridge my wd aswell but I plan on staying on this as my aniexty is bad but when on mirtazapine it made it ten times worse x
    • Posted

Hi, I am 9 weeks off Mirt now, still have mild anxiety but it is slowly getting better. It's been a real struggle to get off, never realised how addicted my mind and body had become to it. 
    • Posted

That's good for you my change over never went so good . I'm back on the mirtazapine. I reacted really badly to the sertraline and ended up in hospital having suiezurez so they won't let me try anything else x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.