Mirtazapine withdrawals

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I've been on 30mg of mirtazapine for just slightly over a year. I recently decided to quit cold turkey.

It's been 2.5 weeks now. For the first couple of weeks, I felt great (emotionally). The only real side effects were insomnia, nausea, vomitting in the mornings and a loss of appetite.

For the past few days, the insomnia is mostly gone. I still have a reduced appetite, nausea and vomit in the mornings. My legs and teeth also hurt. None of these are particularly uncomfortable. But now, in addition to these symptoms, I also feel very anxious and depressed. The anxiety is worse in the mornings - I wake up and I wish I could go back to sleep or just die. But I have to get up and the first thing I do everyday is go and vomit. I also feel anxious about the future and can't help but worry I've made some wrong choices in life.

I also feel tearful and depressed. I cry a few times a day. I feel like I will never be happy. I feel trapped in life and very lonely. I miss certain people that are no longer in my life.

Are these just withdrawal symptoms or is this just how I am (and the reason I went on mirtazapine in the first place)?

If they're withdrawal symptoms, how much longer will they last? I feel I might have made a mistake quitting cold turkey. But at the same time, I no longer want to be taking this drug, particularly given that I've already come this far.

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Did you feel this way before taking Mirtzapine? 

I had the exact same feelings and fears when I was withdrawing, I would have a feeling of doom every morning and I was terrified of the future. I would get depressed when it was dark and I would just put my head on the table and cry. The anxiety was constant and nothing appealed to me. I started to get scared that it was just the way I was but then I remembered I wasn't this bad before. 

It will pass. It is really tough though, it probably wasn't the best idea to go cold turkey, but hey so many of us on here did the same thing and thought it would be fine. Don't worry about it, just ride it out and know that you will feel better soon. It took me a few months to get passed it and you will have better days and then you will have awful days but you will get better. It just takes awhile to get the horrible drug out of your system. Don't give up and stay strong! If you ever feel like it probably isn't the Mirt, just take a look on the board and see just how many of us had the exact same thoughts and fears as you.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. It's a relief to hear that. I'll just ride it out.
    • Posted

No problem smile I was recommended on here to take Omega 3 to speed the process a bit and I found it worked well. 5htp helped the anxiety a bit as well as passion flower tea. 
  • Posted

Lemons,

I've been off mirtazapine for about 10 days now. I've had a lot of the same side effects as you; constant crying, loss of appetite, insomnia, nausea, increased depression. When did the appetite decrease for you? It wasn't until last night that I noticed my appetite lower. I'm afraid these symptoms will continue to worsen and won't end.I'm very glad I'm no longer taking this drug, but I feel absolutely awful. My head is blurry, I have headaches, my muscles are having spasms, my stomach is cramping, and I feel like I have the flu. Let me know if things get better for you!

• Posted

My appetite decreased pretty much as soon as I stopped taking it and got worse over time, but it's been getting better for a few days now.

I think the withdrawals affect everyone differently. For example, I felt emotionally fine for the first couple of weeks. It's only been a few days that I've been crying and feeling depressed and anxious.

I didn't get a headache/flu and some of the other symptoms you describe, but I have some other symptoms.

The insomnia is mostly gone now (I would only sleep for 3-4 hours in the first 1-2 weeks) although I still sleep less compared to when I was still taking mirtazapine.

Hang in there, I'm sure the symptoms will get better for you, as the loss of appetite and insomnia have already gotten better for me.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Lemons

So sorry for your suffering, sounds like you've chosen the difficult way to come off Mirt' - on the pack it says not to suddenly stop, it can bring on pretty awful symptoms and the fear that you may have a return of your A&D.  

It might help you to read others stories on this forum regarding wd, it's a nasty wd to cope with cold turky.  

For anyone else reading this post, advise is available from the many kind people who post on this forum as to the correct slow wd method, GP's don't seem to know how to wd from it properly or even believe that you can get wd ...

Wishing youu well Lemon, I hope you're having a beeter day today hun.

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.