mirtazapine withdrawl

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I was on remeron/mirtazapine for 17 years,and I been tapering 30mgs since the winter,I just finished my last tiny piece on Friday,I am feeling OK,but I have these days where I'm depressed and sad,angry and I'm just saying whatever comes to my mind,I am arguementive,and feeling a little all over the map,extra sensitive and having insomnia,will this pass? I also am almost off tegretol,I am on a quarter of a piece,plus I am dealing with protracted WD from klonopin as well,its been almost 7 years since I came off klonopin and that alone was pure hellx20! Any advice would be appreciated thanks! Kristine

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi kristine58413, 

I wanted to weigh in since I am also tapering Mirt.  The jump you took from 7.5 mg to 0 is a very large one.  I have been in touch with others who made the same jump but reinstated because the WD was so bad.  I am on a site called survivingantidepressants that recommends a 10%/month taper schedule to reduce suffering from withdrawal and increase your chances of success.  What I did was order a milligram scale, about $22 US from Amazon, and weigh out the amount.  From 7.5 mg you'd reduce by 0.75 mg. 

I am still at 22 mg, and have occasional diarrhea, cramps, headaches and burning/numbing sensations of the skin, but all very tolerable.  Mood is ok.

Be kind to yourself through WD, and know that neuro-emotions are what you are experiencing, not the real you.

• Posted

Hi Betsy

So pleased you shared your journey off Mirt' - thanks for the web site advice, i'll take a look.  Are you sleeping ok through your withdrawal??  And what were you on before 30 or 45 mg?  

Thanks again & best wishes to you.

• Posted

I feel like my whole body heated up last night,I felt awful it kicked in last night,I slept only a few hours and I feel lousy this morning,I am seeing a new psychiatrist and I need something to help me over,I am having other WD as well,one WD on top of another! I can't win! Kristine
    • Posted

Hi Calmer, 

I was up to 37.5 mg very quickly and it wasn't working at all - I was totally apathetic.  The only thing it did do for me was help me sleep.  I realize now that I was in Effexor withdrawal when I was put on Mirt, had done too fast a taper last fall, and I probably continued to WD as I increased the dose of Mirt.  I was desperate, so my doc reinstated the Effexor, calling the combo California Rocket Fuel.  I felt better instantly, like a junkie getting a hit.  So, now I am having to taper two drugs :-(

I am focusing on the Mirt because I have gained weight from it.  Since I have been doing 10% cuts, the WD is not bad at all, but yes, my sleep has been affected by WD.  I become wakeful early morning, but am able to fall asleep, just too light.  At least I'm not up with insomnia/anxiety/cortisol surges I had before.  If that is as bad as it will get, I'll be happy :-)

• Posted

I love that web site and its advice of how to wd ... it's the best I've found yet.  Pass it on to others, there are too many folk on this forum who have no idea how to withdrawn - I'm on a mission to pass it on and I hope we can all fo the same.

Thanks Betsy, sounds like you're doing the best wd plan, I  hope your sleep improves but like you say, it's a plan to be followed slowly.

Wishing you well, best wishes.

C x

• Posted

Thank you, Calmer

WD is horrid, even when doing a slow taper.  This morning I had a bunch of stressors thrown at me, life pitching curve-balls, and the neuro-emotions came right up.  I find myself thinking all the down thoughts that people in deep WD have, and find myself wondering if I should just stay on meds...WD tricks you, indeed.

Now, looking for ways to shift myself out of this space.  

• Posted

Hi Betsy

I think I understand what you're saying about being in the WD zone & negative thoughts. I think it's important to work hard on yourself to strengthen your mind, fight/challenge these thoughts - mental spam, if left to their own devises they multiplies ggrrrr.

Through regular, gentle meditation we can gain a stronger mind. CBT & Mindfulness are helpful also. I hope that with you doing this slow method of 10% every 4 weeks your we'd symptoms will be minimal. Hope you let us know how you are along the way.

Wishing you well x

• Posted

Hi Kristine

Sorry for your suffering, it is a difficult AD to wd from.  However, it looks like you've done the right thing by tapering slowly since last winter, that will make a huge difference, unlike going cold turky.

I believe that going from 7.5 to nothing is not such a good idea for many people, although some get away with it and we are all very different.  I kn ow many fgolk on this forum have advised staying at 7.5 for 3 or 4 weeks and then alternating with 3.5 for 3 weeks before then staying at 3.5 for a month or more, or even 3.5 alternative nights.  

With you having been on this for so long I can't help but wonder if the above method would be better for you.  David has known much suffering since his cold turky and we are all grateful to him for staying on the forum to share his difficult journey.  

You can get Mirt/Remeron in 5mg I believe, so maybe that would be easy to break in half - at the risk of sounding boring may I repeat "going from 7.5 to nothing" is too much for most.

Wishing you well Kristine, and sending you warm wishes.

Search for Rose McKay on fbook, you won't find it searching from Mirt Support, you will see a red and white flower which is her cover photo.

x

• Posted

I sent her a request but I didn't get an answer yet,I want to join the forum but I didn't get a response. Also,my WD started last night,the insomnia really kicked in bad,I am seeing a new psychiatrist,and I'm not sure if I should go on something else to help me through,I can't keep suffering from no sleep,and anxiety and depression.kristine
    • Posted

Hi Kristine I think because you are withdrawing from 2 different medicines Tegretol and Mirtazapine at the same time you are having such a hard time.  Not sure if your doctor or p.doc advised this but I think you should not be doing two at a time, however you say you are nearly off both!  My, how brave you are.  Would you consider to start taking the 7.5 mg of Mirt' again?  

In my humble opinion you have forced a big withdrawal effect upon yourself, your brain and body needs much more time to come to terms with the wd slowly.  The only thing I would advise, and you have nothing to lose, is to go back on to 7.5mg of Mirt (do you have any???) and discuss the other med with your doctor .

I have sent Rose a message and she may be with you soon xxx

• Posted

Kristine

I'm sending you a private message  x

• Posted

Hi there,I am going to ask my docter to give me a little tegretol again,I have some on me anyway. I think I'm gonna take 1 or 2 a day for now. I don't wanna withdraw from both,the remeeon has to go,I like tegretol a lot better! Kristine
  • Posted

Hallo, Kristine from another Kristine,

I would like to share my story of reducing mirtazipine.. 

I started to use mirtazipine in January 2015, when it was chosen as a potential drug, which could help me to deal with my acute anxiety phase (with panic attacks) as well as prolonged acute (at least, that it what I was hoping for) insomnia period.

At the beginning I was prescribed Zoloft, which worked well for anxiety and panic but worsened my insomnia. At the end we stayed with mirtazipine, because, though it was not the best choice for me for the anxiety, it helped with my insomnia. 

I was also prescribe clonozepam (instead of xanax, which I was worried, was already my addiction) to deal with sudden episodes of anxiety.

I also would like to describe you a bit the context of the situation. I believe that all my problems were connected with major changes in my life, but as from February 2015 I became a long term student of a Chinese kung fu school, I decided that I slowly would reach the state when I do not use any medicine. Because the envirnoment for this seemed to be perfect. 

​For the first 3 months I was using 30 mg - my sleep was ok, my anxiety, if it appeared rarely, was manageable. Every 7-10 days I got a very bad night sleep but I could deal with it, with the help of clonazepam. I did not feel fresh in the mornings, but I did not mind, because I got the full night of sleep.

3 months ago I reduced my dosage to 15 mg, which was not a good dosage for me - I was having back my anxiety (including new weird expressions of social anxiety) as it was almost before I started to use a-depressants. My sleep got worse, I also got night terrors; however, I was dealing with it. More or less though with the help of clonazepam, which I started to use almost every second day.

7 days ago I went down to 7.5mg. The first interesting thing - my anxiety disappeared. But, but, but... For the first 2 nights my sleep was fantastic, because after many months it was the first time when I woke up totally refreshed and kind of rested. But starting from the 3rd night my insomnia started to creep back. I can still fall asleep (more or less) but I am waking up soaked in sweat every second hour, and for the last two nights, when I wake up around 3-4, I can not fall back asleep. Also, I feel so tired now.. Ironic thing is that I am in the kung fu school for half a year now, and I thought that it must be rather impossible to be a chronic insomniac here, with this training schedule and load. Maybe I will give myself more time to adjust, we will see. The problem is that I start to have sleep anxiety in the middle of the night. 

Hmmm, if I start to think about my emotional state during these days. I feel almost kind of high (emotionally freed), very light and with clear mind. Now I am wondering if this and the sudden feelings of falling in lovem which I experience during this last week, I can also write down to reduction of mirtazipine biggrin

Anyway, it is not easy. I had previous phase of panic attacks and anxiety some 13 years ago, and then I solved it with the help of Fluoxetine. But then I did not have any insomnia.. It was very easy to find the right a-depressant then, and it was also easy to stop it.. But this time it is a bit like a nightmare. 

I would be looking forward to hear other stories and advices.

Kind regards,

​Kristine

• Posted

Sorry to read of your suffering.  I see you have been reducing from 30 mg to 15 mg (50% reduction) and then 15 mg to 7.5 mg (50% reduction).  This probably explains the symptoms you are experiencing as they sound like withdrawal symptoms.

Many on this forum reduce too quickly and suffer panic attachs, night terrors, stomach cramps, IBS etc.  I think it's best to reduce by 10% every 3 or 4 weeks - this may sound slow but it gives your mind and body more time to adjust and it is the kinder approach.

I hope you continue to improve and good luck with your chosen path at the Kung Fo school.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.