Mirtazapine withdrawl

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on 45mg for 12 months then went down to 30 mg for 6 months then i decided to come off this drug due to bad side effects i taperd down from the 30 mg over a couple of months and had my last 7mg about 2 months ago so have had nothing for 2 months, the withdrawl was not that bad untill about 3 weeks ago i went to the doctors for mucle pain the doctor told me it was gout never had pain this intence in my life he gave me some tabs for gout made no difference stoped them and the pain is mouving around my body  since then i have now been diagnosed with sciatica in my left leg was actually crying with the pain no painkillers would work,( men dont cry yer right ) it is just starting to ease but started to have panic attacks thinking the worst chest pains slight trembeling feeling and being sick dihorea actually had hold of the mirtazapine tabs in my hand two mins ago was going to go back on them untill i started to read these threads which have been so helpfull going to try and fight it out i do not want to go back on them again after taking so long to come off them just didnt realise the pain could be so bad i hope no one has to go through what i have actually thought i was going mad at one point racing thoughts etc sorry for any spelling mistakes i have had a bleed on the brain a few years ago and lost my short term memmory which effects my speling thanks ian

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ian this is protracted withdrawal, it may go on and on, but you will not know.  One chap (David) from this forum, suffered like yourself for 8 months before reinstating at just 3.75 mg which sorted him out totally.  

So, if the worst comes to the worst and you have to try Mirt' again, don't think you have to go 15/30 mg ... just a little could make all the difference.  People usually go back to the dose they were last on i.e. 7.5 in your case, but I would advise seeing if 3.75 did the job for 2 weeks first, then stay on until settled, have a rest, then a proper slow wd.

Jumping off at 7 mg is a mighty taper, too much for most.  Are you sleeping ok?  Nausea?  Doctors don't know much about the WD of Mirt', like your own thinking it was gout !  

I've been on Mirt for over a year and am doing a slow taper, the only way I think, I have liquid Mirt so it is easier to do the drops.

Wishing you well Ian.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply i will try the 3.75 if this dose not settle down over the next few days hope you are not having to many side effects regards ian
    • Posted

Ian, so sorry to hear you are suffering from the jump off mirt!  Calmer is right about that being too big a jump, but dang if they don't make these tablets in small enough doses to do a proper slow taper!  If you are in the UK, you can get a liquid version that will smaller cuts with syringe dosing, should you decide to reinstate a small amount.  As Calmer said, a very small amount may be all that is needed to ease the worst of your symptoms.  Many people agonize about going back on when they have come so far getting off, but unfortunately, protracted withdrawal can last a very long time when you jump from too high of a dose.  There's no award for toughing it out, only suffering!  People seem to get hard on themselves, feeling guilty about "failing" or not being tough enough to "take it" or not wanting to put them back in their bodies, but sometimes taking just a little bit to ease suffering is absolutely the best thing to do, and then doing a micro-taper from there.  

Good luck!  You are not alone!

• Posted

You sound Like you've had a really rough time. Gout is like arthritis which affects the joints usually toes, knees etc not muscle. I too came off mirtazapine about two months ago and did have awful anxiety, bad stomach and crashed mood as came off them too quick. 30mg to nil in two weeks following docs advice.

Can't imagine the pain you must have been in but not sure it's connected to mirtazapine withdrawal. Are you on a replacement? I was put on sertraline and bit annoyed as was doing so well hoping to be drug free but thanks to wd symptoms mimicking depression and anxiety heyho on different drug.

Go back to doc over muscle pains and stay off mirtazapine is my advice. We're all different but push for some proper diagnosis. Sciatica is pain in leg from trapped disc in lower back. It's agony. Gout is nothing like sciatica. Try yoga for gentle exercise. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Ian 

i had terrible muscle pain with mirt. Doctors didn't believe it was mirt. Called it all kinds of stuff got to the point I couldn't walk well at all.the pain was unbearable. 

I agree with calmer it's the mirt protracted WD. I've read other muscle problems with mirt and or mirt WD. 

Id go back to very low dose 3.75 mirt. I think you'll find it goes away 

good luck. Sorry you're in such pain...

• Posted

I am currently tapering off mirt. I was on 30mg for four years. I reduced to 22.5mg for two weeks and now almost a week on 15mg. Reading this thread has made me wonder if my back and severe wrist pain are actually mirtazapine withdrawal as they have happened over the past two weeks. I had the back pain before going on mirt but it has been virtually better whilst I was on it. I didn't think I was getting any withdrawal symptoms, but hadn't thought the pain may be related.
    • Posted

Hi rose

Thanks to everyone for your replies i have just got back from the out of hours doctor he has told me it is probably mirt withdrawal that is causing all my muscle pain and it probably isn't sciatica that i have been diagnosed with but a different muscle that has been affected which has similar symptoms to sciatica so he thinks the doctor made a mistake in his diagnoses he thinks i should still try and stay off the mirt unless i get worse and feel  it would help which i really don't want to do unless it comes to that i have never had any problems with muscles in the past at all untill i stoped the mirt or the other symptoms so here is hoping i can stay off them he has given me prochlorperazine to help with the sickness and an antibiotic just to make sure i haven't an infection Thanks again these threads are really helping nice to no i'm not the only person going through this and there is help out there good luck to everyone else hope you all feel better soon

• Posted

Hi Ian

Yes I agree it's most likely the mirt

I was in pretty good shape before mirt no muscle problems at all

Then came mirt and muscle problems

I've read three other posts of mirt and muscle problems mine came while on it and went away with WD

Some people get it in WD I would think it is the mirt and I do hope you don't have to go back on it and just know this to shall pass

It may take awhile but it will go away.

( joint pain is also a WD symptom )

Hugs to all

• Posted

Hi Ian

I am at day 21 and I've been going through the exact withdrawal as you. Its been hell. My biggest issue that caused insomnia was not being able to turn my brain off at night. My naturopath put me on NeuroCalm it is the best. Helps me rest but I'm still achy, tired, headaches& emotional during days. The main ingredient is passionflower, an ancient Chinese herb.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.