Mirtazapine withdrawl

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started mirtazapine(7.5mg), Escitalopram(10mg), Klonopin(0.5 mg) in May 2015. Last year I successfully tapered off Escitalopram &Klonopin without any withdrawal effect. On 18th Jan this year, I tapered my mirtazapine dose from 7.5mg to 3.75mg and life has been a hell since 24th Jan. My GP suggested to take 11.25 mg Mirtazapine but it didn't help me either. It has been more tan a month now I have been taking 11.25 mg Mirtazapine. Unable to sleep, can't concentrate at the office which bothers me a lot. I am really working hard in the gym. While falling asleep I get these weird sensations like an electric shock through my body to head, cold sensations, sweating which wakes me up after half an hour. I tried some yoga and breathing exercises but it worsened my symptoms. Any suggestions to get rid off these withdrawal effects??

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for your very heartfelt disussion above....I'm about to see my doctor and discuss all these negative withdrawl and other stories, they are scary to me, almost

feel like being depressed is easier....I am on 30 mg of prozac having come down

to 20 to start the MirtazPINE as I wrote a got a rash....will find out today the

results.....since I had to have a biospy....I'll write again, but thank everyone for their thoughts and opinions....

• Posted

Buddy if you have sleeping problems then I would suggest not to take this drug as you won't be able to sleep once you stop taking it. And these doctors are the biggest liars. They don't accept the fact that AD causes withdrawal symptoms. When it comes about tapering the drug most of them will ask you to taper within a month or couple of months but I think tapering should be super slow process

• Posted

Why did the doc suggest 11. 25 ? Not back on 7. 5mg ? Don t get his / her thinking.
    • Posted

I was having some interviews in February so I think she prescribed 11.25 to make me feel better quickly.
  • Posted

Have you had any other symptoms like anxiety or depression ?
    • Posted

Anxiety all the time for a month and after 3-4 sleepless nights I started feeling depressed. Now I feel anxiety in the night time and after I fall asleep.
    • Posted

I think you dropped too much initially. That was a 50 % drop which could have lead to withdrawals. Should be 10 % drops. Is there anything else which may be a trigger.

My only other thought is that withdrawals from meds can take weeks to kick in. Did you do a slow taper from the other meds and when did it end ?

Did you suffer with anxiety before this and has the 11.25 helped at all ?

• Posted

Last year I tapered off escitalopram & Klonopin (  june 2016  Klonopin from 0.5 to 0.25 and completely stopped in july,  Jan 2016 escitalopram 10mg to 5 mg, August 2016  escitalopram 5 mg to 2.5 mg for 20 days, 2.5 mg on alternate days for 15 days, 2.5 mg every 3 days for 10 days in October). I did not feel any kind of withdrawal. I was fine till January and was very feeling completely normal. I was excited about my future plans. Since 26th Jan I started feeling withdrawals and I started taking 11.25 mg mirtazapine since then. Now my doctor is asking me to reduce my dosage from 11.25 mg to 7.5mg and I don't want to reduce my dose until I feel stable.

• Posted

It is hard to know what to suggest.

I would have thought reinstating the mirt would stop the withdrawals in a few days. Maybe the higher dose is too much for yoy and 7.5 would be better.

Sorry you are struggling. So am I. Different reasons. It is really scary not feeling in control of yourself.

• Posted

I am going to USA for my higher studies this August. But looking at my current situation I am thinking to postpone it by an year. Moodwise I am feeling better, difficulty in concentrating at work and I am sleeping for 4-5 hours daily. I am thinking to taper it down to 9.375 mg but  don't know how my body will react. Feeling scared sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.