mirtazapine worsened sleep and urinary retention

Posted , 6 users are following.

I used to take 25mg of diphenhydramine, an antihistamine, for sleep. It worked well except it worsened my retention, as indicated by my self cathing volumes. I decided to take someone's advice on this forum and tried mirtazapine for few days. Mirtazapine is an antidepressant but is often used for sleep disorder. The results are that my sleep was worse, even worse than without diphenhydramine, and my retention was worse than with diphenhydramine. I guess I'll go back to diphenhydramine. 😬

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Word to the wise re antihistamines: I was given an antihistamine "cocktail" for hives which sent me in to acute urinary retention in 2014. To date, I still am unable to pee without catheter. I realize this is probably an extreme case; however, antihistamines are documented to cause urinary retention.

• Posted

I am well aware of the urinary retention side effects of antihistamines. However, I need sleep and I now often self cath anyway so retention is no longer as important. Before I started to self cath, I did have an AUR when I had a cold or flu, when I took quite a bit of antihistamines to dry up my sinuses.

• Posted

Understood.

I've found that a handful of pumpkin seeds in the evening help me sleep. They have the most L-Tryptophan (the thing in turkey that makes you sleepy on Thanksgiving!)

• Posted

I will try pumpkin seeds, but a pill is simpler and lower cost. 😀

• Posted

Any drug that ends in "ine" can make BPH symptoms of all kinds worse. Have you tired melatonin?

• Posted

Yes. Melatonin seems to help falling to sleep for few hours but not falling back to sleep after that.

• Posted

Take it again when you wake up. You'll fall asleep again.

• Posted

Try Melatonin 3mg of a good brand. It works well for good sleep. After using one brand, I tried another brand and this working very well for the last 3 years. I started with half tablet but now since quite long only on quarter of 3 mg Tab works very well for me. Wishing you the best.

• Posted

Firstly I used a brand just for 3-4 days (which did not work for me at all), its name I have since forgotten. But the one which is working great for me for the last 3 years is Jamiesen Fast Dissolving, Melatonin. Wishing you the best.

• Posted

Hank, not sure if it was me that suggested the mirtazapine but I am surprised that it did not help you sleep. For me at 15 mg I sleep like the dead.

I am curious though, why do you self cath when there are surgical remedies available ? That is assuming BPH is causing the retention.

• Posted

Hi James, I think it was you. Thanks for the suggestion even though it didn't work for me. According to the reviews I've read, it works for many but not for some. I guess I am just unlucky.

About self cathing, I am so risk averse (wimpy) that I haven't found a low risk, high reward procedure yet. As long as I still self cath easily, I can afford to wait. I am not sure that my problems are BPH, most likely BPH + bladder.

Just a month ago, I was looking actively into BPH procedures because I was fed up with the occasional bleeding, even after 3 years. Then I found out that it was the darn catheters that I was using. I switched catheters and no more bleeding. I now can wait.

• Posted

You might want to consider getting a full diagnostic done (scope and urodynamics) to see where you are. If your problem is all or mostly BPH, something like Rezum might be worth considering as it would very likely solve your problem - if a lot of the issue is bladder function, self cathing and seeing how much you get back could be the best option.

• Posted

Thanks buzz. I just turned down cystoscopy and urodynamics, because I don't think they are worth the pain and risks. I asked for 3T MRI but the uro did not give it to me, saying that it's for cancer detection only.

• Posted

Hi James, are you still taking mertazapine ? Is it still helping you? I am currently giving it another try, after I found out that antihistamines may cause dementia. Only for 2 nights so far, but it seems to help me this time, from falling back to sleep after getting up to pee. I don't remember the dosage I took last time, but this time I started with 7.5 mg. Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.