Mirtazapine you either hate it or love it😞

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone i found this website by accident when i was trying to figure out what was causing my abdomen to hurt so much, little did I know I was way in to deep into mirtazapine withdrawal not even knowing....

It all started after I took a trip and forgot to take my med bottle, (mirtazapine 30mg) went 5 days without it by the 6 day I took it when I got back, slept well as I was expecting literally the next day I started having abdominal pain, nausea, palpitations...I thought maybe been out the country made me sick so just thought it'll be over within days...yeah right🙄😒

I found myself feeling so sick and nervous I took several trips to the ER cause I was convinced something terrible was happening to me, from diagnosing myself with cancer to thinking I was been poisoned...As I'm writing this I'm counting back the days when all of this started and it has been exactly 26 days since I took my last mirtazapine which I did unintentionally, I wasn't trying to quit but I did and it happened cold turkey I didn't know about all this crazy withdrawal symptoms until I stumble into this conversation threads and I most say it has helped a lot to know that this might be the cause of all my anxiety, I don't have a DR right now but it seems to me that no Doctor is even well informed about Mirtazapine been so dangerous when withdrawing from it... At some point i was very happy with this drug cause it helped me so much, but know that I stopped taking it all of my old symptoms are even worse can't eat, sleep, too anxious, weird dreams, fears, depression, no thoughts of suicide, not interested in the things I love, just feeling very down and afraid that I will die from this.... If you have any ways that may help with coping other than going back on the pill or another pill please feel free to follow my discussion....Thanks in advance!🙏

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, can i ask what dosage of mirt that u were taking and how long were u on it for ?
    • Posted

Hi Adele I was taking 30mg for months every now and then missed a dose but about 26 days ago stopped completely cold turkey, I wish I didn't cause it has been hell😓

• Posted

Quit cold turkey is a bad thing to do. WD symptoms are no joke, and can appear weeks after it.  I can advice FB group Remeron (Mirtazapine) Should Be Illegal.
    • Posted

Hi Maurice I completely agreed with you but I didn't mean to quit cold turkey, went to a trip and forgot my meds eventually the symptoms started from withdrawal and by the time I've figured it out it was almost two weeks, which the freaked me out and made me stop the pill for good.... Anybody trying to stop should seek for professional help but lot of times those called professionals give you mixed advice and your left to worder that's how I ended up in this website trying to find answers and relief... Thanks for your comment!

• Posted

Hi,Candy.Can't give you any advice on coping since I'm in the middle of being tapered off Paxil at 20mg twice a day for 20 years and going on to Mirt starting 7 weeks ago at mg upped to 30mg 2 1/2 weeks ago.If the Mirt was helping you I wouldn't quit but slowly get back on it,unless you can find a natural remedy that helps.I"m 54 and got past that aversion to meds awhile ago if it helps me live more "normal" or better if you will.I would say if all your old symptoms are back and worse than by all means go back on it! Quality of life is more important than quantity(length) of life.God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Hi Bob...God bless you too!😊

I really didn't mean to stop taking it and yes it was helping me a lot but I got sick and stopped taking unintentionally which resulted in this horrible withdrawal symptoms, I'm sacred now trying to figure out if yo go back on it or try something else, I've always had issues with my stomach and this pill apparently makes them worse, didn't know that...thanks for your reply to my discussion, feel free to comment anything you might know that all of us here will benefit from!

• Posted

Hi Candy.If it upsets your stomach then I would look for another med too.My stomach tolerates medicine better than most,so usually it's another reason for me to quit a med.Could it be possible that something else was affecting your stomach and not MIrt? Did it afeect your stomach over the period you were taking it or just after you stopped? If that's the case then it probably was the withdrawal and not the Mirt that was causing your stomach problems.There are many other similar meds you can try,but if the Mirt works the best,you may have to decide as to whether the trade off is worth quitting or not.Good luck and God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Hey Rob I did have some GI problems before in the past but way before I've started mirtazapine, that was taken care of, and after I started mirtazapine there were no signs of any abdominal issues(took it for about 2 1/2 years) ..5 weeks ago I started having bad cramps, nausea, heartburn etc...I've gotten so many test and everything comes back ok just mild gastritis...as I mentioned before I stopped mirtazapine cold turkey unintentionally when I took a trip and forgot to bring my meds with me, about 7 days later I started having all the discomfort on my abdomen...I think is no coincidence, I'm sure all of this discomfort is due to mirtazapine withdrawals or whatever they wanna call it, after this experience with it, I'm determined to never take this pill again I'm too scared now🙄😒

• Posted

Quick Update...I'm on day 37 well 5th week after stopping mirtazapine 30 cold turkey(very dangerous by the way please do not try this)....I thought ive seen the light at the end of the túnel some days ago but since yesterday it has been pure hell, lots of anxiety and uncontrollable crying spells, fear of dying, diagnosing myself with all kinds of illness...i thought I could ride this thing but I'm having such a hard time😰😪 Took myself to ER again cause I don't have a Doctor there I was given Valium which I been scared to take, I most say I felt a little better after getting iv fluids and the Valium...I haven't been eating 100% and lots nearly 16 pounds now I'm just 114...Surprisingly all my blood work was so i found comfort there, as I'm typing this I'm having some calmer time so it helps to come in here and vent...When is this gonna be over?????

• Posted

Candy,was wondering how you are feeling now?and how long have you been off mirtazapine?how are the withdrawel symptoms? Hoping you are feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.