Mirtazepine - Coming off

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I know there are a lot of posts about this already but I wanted to get an up to date view and advice please.

I have been on Mirtazepine 15mg for 1 year, 6 months. I got put on it after a messy divorce which left me depressed with extreme anxiety, and insomnia. It took a while but I got there and I am feeling so much better. I remember starting the meds though and I had the most horrendous brain fog for a few months and at times I still feel like my thoughts come out muddled if I am tired.

I generally feel ok now. Still anxious but always have been, but not depressed and sleeping fine. I want to come off the Mirtaz because of the brain fog and also because I have gained almost 30lbs in weight that I couldn't afford to gain. I am always hungry, I crave carbs and I have tried various diets but nothing seems to shift it and the hunger is so bad I always give in.

I have discussed this with my GP. He told me 3 months ago I had a choice between being overweight and being anxious and I had to choose one. I decided to stay on the Mirtaz. On his advice I had got down to every other night on the meds, but then the anxiety came back in full force. I get these surges, like a heat creeping up from my knees and up my body and crashing over my head, my heart pounds and I feel out of it for a couple of seconds. On the every other night, these surges were back in force so I chose to ignore the weight, try and deal with it through exercise and treat the anxiety,

Anyway, fast forward to today. I feel disgusting, I have never been this big in my life. I am happy enough in life now, good things are happening. So I am trying again to come off the Mirtaz. Again I spoke to my Dr. He could not have been less interested. His advice - 15mg every other day for 2 weeks and then just stop. If it doesn't work he'll give me another prescription. No answer to my questions about tapering, withdrawal side effects or other potential medications.

I feel completely alone and unsupported. Has anyone done 2 weeks every other day and stopped? What's in store for me? I am SO worried about insomnia again.

I have been every other day for 10 days again now. Yesterday the surges started again, I had broken sleep as the surges were happening through the night and waking me up. I took a Mirtaz last night.

I am starting a herbal supplement called Ashwaghanda - this is meant to help with anxiety and lowers cortisol. The Dr said the surges sound like cortisol surges, but he had no suggestion as to how to stop them.

Any advice on any of this will be really gratefully received. I am sorry for such a long post but I wanted to include as much as possible. Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalie, You are suffering classic withdrawal symptoms. I was on 15mg for 1 year and have experienced similar since coming off nearly 8 months ago. Yes reckon its cortisol spikes, let me know how the ashwaganda works as I have bought some also but scared to take it. Mirtazapine is a terrible drug, well known for protracted withdrawal, try to keep going and stay off it. I've been encouraged by others who have managed to get off it. Viv

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.