Mirtazepine Withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Withdrawal symptoms, severity and length of time depend on the dosage, the length of time on the medication and the individual. Speaking as a health care professional and someone's who's titrated successfully off Mirtazepine I suggest the following:

Get in the mindset right now that you will get through this and symptoms related to withdrawal will go away. Once you're truly motivated:

Think of everything in 2's. If you're taking 15mg then reduce the dose by cutting in 2 for 2 weeks. So reduce to 7.5mg for 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks buy yourself a pill splitter from Amy local pharmacy and split the dose in 2. Now you're taking 3.75mg for 2 weeks.

Finally, using the pill splitter cut your dose in 2 down to 1.87mg for 2 weeks. Following this stop the Mirtazepine.

You will have insomnia the first 10 days or so after first reduction. But you'll then get back to sleep after two weeks as your body adjusts to the lower dosages. This will be a cycle until you're off the Mirtazepine. You may also experience:

Headaches

Decreased Appetite

Weight Loss

Fatigue from Insomnia

Anxiety

My absolute best recommendation is to keep your mind & body busy through out the entire titrating process. Exercise, work, but do not sit around watching tv etc. This will result in increased anxiety and in some people panick attacks due to a misunderstanding of their withdrawal symptoms.

Folks, you can all do this. Yes you're going to feel the above symptoms but remember this:

THE WITHDRAWAL WILL RESOLVE.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Couldn't agree more that we're all different. I couldn't have coped with the fast withdrawal schedule you recommend. The 10% method suggested by Calmer was brilliant for me 

• Posted

Dear Ditch Doctor

I do not agree with your statements regarding Mirtazapine to be able to wean it off by deductions of 50% every two weeks. Everyone is differente and body reacts in different ways.

In my case i only took 15 Mg of Mirt for 50 days and i have taken almost on year to reach at 1.7 Mg which i am currently. The WD-s have been really tough but i have managed to stay afloat. I had a very normal life with some ups and downs and no heavy psychological issues but the doctors pushed meds into me in a moment when i was vulnerable and it happened. I almost screwed my life up.

So please before making such declarations consider that there are a lot of people suffering just because some iresponsible people give them the meds in the first place and some others give advice on such fast tapers. If you have been able to drop Mirt with such fast taper it does not mean everybody is able tooooo. If you have not taken Mirt in your life but you re advicing based on text books... You re wrong tooo.

Please my friend... i have been to the hell and back since March last year and i am advising against giving advice if we are not sure about the outcomes. 

All the best and i fully agree with Calmer here 100%

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.