mirtazipine

Posted , 4 users are following.

It is iinteresting to read comments and views about drinking on Mirtazipine . I up until now would never drink on medication that specifically says avoid alcohol however...I have been on these tablets for a number of years after suffering a very serious breakdown.I have managed to start drinking occasionally and after going on holiday and drinking double measures I became quite violently sick.I did ask advice before going away and my drs advice was to go and enjoy myself . I find I am unable to drink no more than 2 or 3 at the most drinks with this medication..and I have heard that the problem with mixing alcohol with this medication is respiratory problems while asleep if mixed.So my advice to anyone is listen to your body if in doubt avoid .It affects everyone differently and unfortunately I am a light weight on this medication .Safer than sorry I guess..and in all honisty the first time I did drink on this medication I reacted quite bad.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have no physical effects (sickness etc) from drinking on this, however I was told during an emergency doctors appointment (suicidal) that alcohol makes Mirtazapine ineffective! So if you drink it does not work. And I've certainly found this to be true. You really have to abstain completely if you are to feel the benefits of the medication 
    • Posted

Yes I do agree with you there I have had two glasses of wine today and proberbly not a good idea as my mood has not been the best due to recent problems I have noticed that it has somehow numbed the depression but I may think differently in the morning.I think the problem is we all have to remain sociable as long as our bodies allow us to do so .
    • Posted

I find it does help numb the depression whilst drinking but the following day the depression is back twice as bad sad 
    • Posted

I. Can't understand why you can't be sociable without a drink.If your given meds to make you feel well why can't you just wait till your well again.I don't want to put a downer on you havering fun but why do you have to drink to do that.When I was younger I used to smoke and I used to use the same excuse (it's just to be sociable ) but after having been seriously ill and I finished smoking I now realise my health is more important.So have fun but look after your health first.
  • Posted

Hi 

I've asked my psychiatrist about drinking on my meds.... Mirtazapine and Quetiapine... He told me not to worry and go go and live my life like any other single the 35-year-old...

But having said that... On about 5 occasions I have woke up in bed gasping for breath... And even wen I dived out of bed I was still struggling to breathe... Felt like a life time gasping... But probably only 3 or 4 seconds at the most....

Can I ask you what you know about breathing difficulties on Mirt please? 

X

• Posted

Your health is more important than being sociable to your friends.

Alcohol doesnot go well with medication,you must avoid it.

As people say.."You never know how strong you are.. until being strong is only option left".I'm very sure you can do it for yourself. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.