Mirtazipine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I’m just looking for some advice. I’ve suffered with severe health anxiety for a few years however recently it’s got extremely debilitating to the point I don’t want to go to work. I’ve tried Citalopram and Sertraline and found both unbearable. Does anyone have any experience on Mirtazipine? The problem is because of my health anxiety I get scared of the side effects. Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

My advice is stay well clear. I started having health anxiety on this drug.

I know it works for some but it is a really weird med.

• Posted

Really? Was it the side effects that started your health anxiety?
    • Posted

It has not ruined my life but i am now overweight have alot of pains. I sleep but wake up constantly. Tired alot particularly in the morning. I am tapering off slowely. So far is has been tolerable.

I think it made me more anxious overall.

• Posted

I haven’t taken any yet. I don’t think I’m going to start on them to be honest. Everyone’s stories have been horrific. 
  • Posted

Hi, my experience with Mirtazapine is they're OK if you can't sleep and have a high metabolism as I did, still get anxious but not so much, I would take advice from your GP.

• Posted

Hi I have sought advice from my GP and she prescribed me Mirtazipine. I am reluctant to start them after reading some stories on here that it ruined people's lives and the withdrawals are horrific.

• Posted

I had extreme health anxiety a few years back after a major operation and losing a part of my lung. I basically had a nervous breakdown during recovery from the operation and was prescribed Mirt 15 mg p/day. This was eventually put up to 45 mg p/day.

It did help, but it took some time with me and like others have said it makes you sleep. It also increases your appetite and boy can you eat.

However, I have managed to keep my weight stable by being strict with my food groups and not snacking too much on junk. This has helped in making me feel in control of some of my life choices. It has empowered me to some degree.

Although, following a 24 month treatment, for the last six months I have begun to taper off. It is a slow taper. My first jump was from 45 to 30 overnight. I experienced some insomnia and a few weeks of intermittent anxiety. It was thankfully transient and things settled down. That was five months ago. So, about two weeks ago I dropped again to 22.5 mg p/day. And, as expected, the first night was fine the subsequent three were restless and mostly sleepless but then things settled. As expected the anxiety started again tonight. But I had been anticipated it and I also expect that it will pass in a few days. I intend to drop again to 15 mg p/day in a fortnight and so on... 

The thing is, nothing is perfect and if other meds were not suitable and you are suffering then maybe Mirtazapine might help you. Stay real and know what you are taking on. It will be bumpy at times but you will manage. And what is the alternative... no meds and potentially more anxiety.

They are not that bad. They make you eat, they make you sleepy but you can manage it. And the tapering is not all that bad.

Good luck in whatever you decide. x

• Posted

I would not take it!  I took 1 dose and had a bad reaction.  Rapid heart beat and started having panic attacks which I was not having previously!  Try something else! 
  • Posted

I was taking Mirtazapine for almost 2years,my weight shot up and I had zero energy,I took them in conjunction with Venlaxine as ordrerd by my doctor but I found the side effects (too numerous to mention) were auful.I had a horrible time tapering off them and quite honestly I would not give this drug to anyone,please ask your doctor to prescribe something else,Good Luck.
    • Posted

Hi April,

What type of effects did you have?  I only took it 1 time but feel it has affected me. I know it sounds ridiculous from 1 dose.  I don’t know maybe it just scared me. I’m trying to work past it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.