Mirtazipine and mini-relapse

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression symptoms last winter connected with a bout of insomnia.

I was initailly put on Citalopram but this made me feel much worse and exacerbarted my symptoms.

After several months my GP suggested I come off Cit and try Mirtazipine and I am pleased to report that I significantly improved in a short space of time and felt like my old self. I was prescribed a 15mg dosage.

Now after 8 months or so I have detected signs of the anxiety returning whilst on Mirt and have had disturbed sleep recently. 

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or can advise.  I intend going back to my GP but I dont want to increase the dose as ideally I would like to start thinking about coming off it.

Thanks very much.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Geoff

Sorry to hear your anx' has shown it's ugly head again.  If there isn't an apparent reason, maybe there is, then I would say that it sounds like the Mirt' isn't working as well, obviously really, however I can remember going through a short phase of the same and it came right.  

I can recommend CBT, I wonder if you have done a course, it really really helped with my anxiety, which at the time caused Insomnia - or maybe the other way around.

Mirt' 15 mg has worked well for me for a year now; practicing relaxation and quiet time before sleep, taking Mirt' an hour before bedtime and really really doing all you can to wind down at this time for a good nights rest and sleep is key.

I hope it is a short spell and you get back on track.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Calmer,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I did try CBT and didn't find it to be particuarly helpful.

I have had a few issues at work recently which may have contributed to my recent bout of anxiety.

• Posted

Hi geoff46711, you might look into Emotional Freedom Techniques, aka "tapping."  It is just part of my toolbox of things to try when not feeling right.  If you google it, you will find tons about it, how to do it.  I find tapping the acupressure points to be relaxing.

I had mirt poop out on me fairly quickly, but I was in withdrawal from Effexor at the time, so maybe things would have been different without that.  I feel the whole concept of having to keep increasing the dosage to be troubling, since it seems to mean that the nervous system is in tolerance withdrawal and will continue to do so as you increase, but then you are stuck with being on a very high dose of a medication that no longer works and is even causing you to have the very symptoms you took the med to alleviate to begin with!  

Mirtazapine can be a real bear to get off of, too, so please do not just try to come off cold turkey.  Doctors will even tell their patients to taper much too fast.  I am currently doing a 10% per month taper, and even then I feel the withdrawal!

You might try magnesium glycinate at bedtime.  I take it both in the morning and at night.

• Posted

Hi Geoff

Hope it gets resolved for you, especially if it keeps you awake at night .... gawd ... nothing worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.