Mirtazipine, Insomnia, and Depression...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm new here =) I've been on Mitazapine for urmm.. 2 years now.. 30mg... It really has helped me with my insomnia and depression, but the past week... its all come back I have 2 small children, but I can't sleep till 3-4am every night, which is hard cause in the day I start drifting off to sleep, my depression has come back and I just feel horrible, I haven't felt this bad for 2 years, I've had the depression in this time but that was nothing to what I have been feeling the past week.. is this normal? I've been on 4 different anti depressants but Mirtazipine has been the only one that worked for me.. Any input will be appreciated thank you x

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shanooli,

I know what you are going trough. I also have two children. Seems like you have pooped out on mirtazapine. That happens a lot on people after a year or so. Now find yourself a GP, to taper it down and and adjust you to something else. Hang on!

• Posted

Thank you I will do that, I just found that the others I had been on never worked for me I was getting bad reactions but I will go back to the GP I never knew it just pooped out on you..

Thank you =)

• Posted

Hi shanooli ... I was on mirtazapine 30mg for anxiety and depression x they tried me on every antidepressant to no avail . Mirtazapine gt me back to my oldself . I was brill for 6 years x unfortunately it has come back. Loss off appetite low mood and as u say floating about the house to the early hours of the morning and back up again at 6 wide awake. So horrible but there's some light at the end of the tunnel In just a week back on my tabs I'm eating and now sleeping better and my mood is lifting. There has bn some negativity about this med however not every tab suits everyone. I was difficult to treat and mirtazapine worked for me. There r some side effects weight gain and tiredness initially but the side effects r usually short lived so try stick with it . Hope u begin to feel well soon. It's a terrible thing.
  • Posted

Has there been any trigger this time for your depression to return ?
  • Posted

Hello thanks for your post I know about all the side effects Ive been on it for 2 years now and its just stopped working I didn't have a clue it could even do this :S I don't know if I'm getting sick either, but Ive started feeling feverish and like clammy its horrible, I haven't stopped taking my tablets, I still take them although I'm not sure why with them doing nothing atm... going to phone my GP tomorrow and see what they say, maybe they will up the dose or try me on something else but others Ive been on have never worked for me.. Thank you for your support.
  • Posted

Nope no trigger, just came on about a week or so ago.. For no reason, which is hard for my partner because he doesn't suffer with depression so he doesn't "get it" or understand he thinks I should have a reason for feeling like this, but it's not like that, I've suffered from depression since I was 12-13 so I wouldn't expect it to go away completely ever as for i'm 23 now. lol.
  • Posted

O goodness that's very young. I was 36 when mine started. I was on mirtazapine for three years then three years off but what my psychiatrist did was gave me mirt 30 to eat and sleep and escitalopram 5 for my mood and worked perfectly. I think it's wise to c ur gp. But hang in there as you know u don't .gt better overnight I have become unwell again and I know how bloody awful it is but I know I will .gt better. Hope things improve for u.
  • Posted

O goodness that's very young. I was 36 when mine started. I was on mirtazapine for three years then three years off but what my psychiatrist did was gave me mirt 30 to eat and sleep and escitalopram 5 for my mood and worked perfectly. I think it's wise to c ur gp. But hang in there as you know u don't .gt better overnight I have become unwell again and I know how bloody awful it is but I know I will .gt better. Hope things improve for u. Meant to say i was the same as u there does not need to b a reason.
  • Posted

It was young but it's just one of them things in life that happens, I had a good upbringing with a family who loved me I was popular in school, but it still effected me lol shit happens at the end of the day, I know I will get better like you say, =) I hope you get better soon. Ive been on mirtazpine and never been taken off it my dose got lowered to 15mg when I was pregnant with my little man smile but had to have it upped again now it seems to have conked out
  • Posted

I was the same as u say great parents and upbringing .... I have a great family ... great support.. great job I am a qualified nurse so nothing to cause how am feeling.... I have .bn on my med now for two weeks and already c some results so long may it continue ... take care of yourself ... chin up and may b get something that suits u ... good luck... remember u will .gt there again.
  • Posted

Hi Shanooli, how are you now? Are you on something else?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.