Mirtazipine/ remeron cold turkey swelling in legs???

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 20 years old and was prescribed 15 mg mirtazipine for the first week, and then went up to 30 mg for a little over a month. I felt great at first, but after a while I began to develop edema in my feet and ankles. My psychiatrist refused to believe this was caused by the drug but after a while I stopped takingit on my own. I tried to taper off, but felt horrible so I quit altogether. Now my feet and ankles are fine, but my calves and thighs are now swollen, and have been this way for over a month. I went to get checked out by a doctor and so far they haven't been able to figure out what is causing this. They also don't believe it's caused by the mirt, but personally I don't know what else it could possibly be. I just want my legs back to normal. Could this be caused by stopping it so suddenly? Is the drug somehow stuck in my system? I'm at my wits end here. I'm worried that I'm going to be stuck like this forever all because of this stupid "medicine."

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi mirt made my eyesight go bad ..severe pain in my hips and felt like my calf muscle ripped if made a sudden move..I'd be on crutches for a few days. Phyciatrist arnt interested in side effects I mentioned the weight gain to mine her reply never heard of that before..I later found out this drug is the worst for it. I have no trust what so ever in her now. She also told me just to come off the drug which I did I'd say a month to 2 all side effects have gone apart from my eyesight I have deffently gone long sighted ..I no its the mirt because I had an eye couple of months earlier. . Try not to panic measure your legs weekly for a month & see for yourself any change if not go the walk in hospital you will get better treatment ..

• Posted

Yeah I had a blood test done a week ago but I won't be able to see my doctor until two weeks from now unfortunately.

• Posted

mirt has also affected my eyesight-i fail to recognise anyone until they are practically on top of me.A lot of people think i'm just not acknowledging them but i do not recognise them

• Posted

That's exactly like me. If I read anything I have to hold it at nearly arms length too. I find phyciatrist don't want to know tho ??

I'm going to the Dr tomorrow even tho I'm off mirt I'm going to give him the list of bad side effects maybe he will be excepting.. have a list for venlafaxine too but not half as bad ??

• Posted

my insurance is very limited. In fact, my crap psychiatrist was the only one in my area that would accept my insurance. Really shows how much of a joke health care and mental health care is in this country.
    • Posted

It's awful. . I believe we get the cheapest meds to .. Iv had experience of it. We need new fresh pdr.s I think ..the older 1s don't seem to have any compassion &;that's so raw when you think u can't get any lower ?? are u in the uk? US?

• Posted

Wouldn't suprise me at all if its the Mirt' Mitt !  There are 58 listed side effects, and then there are many that are not listed.  

Its not that Mirt stays in your system so much, its the fact that it alters the brains/body's chemistry, and it takes time to regain normality.

Anyway, keep pressing your doctor so as to rule any other condition that it could be; I'm just happy to read you don't have any other discontinuation symptoms.

Best wishes

• Posted

I did have other withdrawal symptoms, typical stuff like high anxiety, restless legs, but it only lasted a few weeks thankfully. although I would much rather deal with those issues than not be able to fit into my favorite pair of pants comfortably. ugh, I hate my legs right now.
  • Posted

Does anyone know if this could end up being permanent? I really don't want to live like this.

• Posted

UPDATE: so I went to the doctor again today and all of my blood tests came back normal, everything from salt intake to blood sugar and kidney functions etc. This is great news because there isn't anything serious or life threatening going on, but at the same time it bothers me because it basically means that my legs swelling is happening for unknown reasons. The doctor prescribed me a dieuretic, so hopefully this will help.

• Posted

hi Mitt,

Did the swelling ever go? I've been of it months, I had the swelling but while my left foot is normal my right foot still swells up as well as the ankle

Not great to see 😦

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.