Mirtazipine withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi just looking for anyones experience in coming off mirtazipine and getting through the withdrawal process.  I am nearly 2 weeks off and felt I was doing well but I have had a bad night last night, I can feel my anxiety levels are rising and I have stomach issues.  Has anyone had the contant itching?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Claire,

I've been off the Mirt for just over a month now and it does get better. I found I hit a wall around the 10 day mark and felt awful for the next 5 but after that I started feeling better. I also have the itching problem though, seems to be a whole body thing. I haven't yet taken anything for it, it only started happening a few days ago so I didn't actually consider it to be sort of the WD. I had insomnia really bad too but didn't want to go onto any other strong/addictive drug that would be hard to come off so my doctor prescribed be Circadin which is a slow release melatonin tablet, it helps reset the brain to produce enough melatonin naturally to sleep and I've found it works and has no drowsy side effects. I tend to wake up when the sun comes up now which is very new since I could sleep all day on Mirt. Every WD is different to others, I came off mine cold turkey at 30mg and I'm doing pretty good compared to what I was expecting based on others experiences but it seems everyone handles it differently. Good luck smile

• Posted

Hi I take it you're in the states as I'm in the UK and you can't get melatonin here. Did you feel better because of the melatonin?
    • Posted

I'm actually in Darwin, Australia. I don't know if there's a difference between circadin and melatonin tablets but I didn't have any issues getting it here. It took a couple days but yeah I'm a lot sleeping better then I was. I take a little bit of codeine as well so keep me sleeping a little longer though or I will wake up before the sun comes up.
  • Posted

Another awful night with just over 2.5hrs sleep. This is now day 15 and not sure how much more I can take, I think I could handle any other symptom but insomnia is just too much.

I could do with any motivating stories to help me keep going. 😂

• Posted

Oh no, sounds awful, insomnia is the worst thing after wd.  What dosage did you stop the Mirt' at Claire?  and how long were you on that lower dose for?  

Ihope you get on OK with the doc today, let us know x

• Posted

I was tapering down by 1.5mg every week so I stopped at 1.5 mg
    • Posted

I stopped at 1.5 too which I later found out was still way too high of a dose to stop. As for the insomnia, maybe dont watch TV or comp before bed, I used to jog on the spot for a bit before bedtime it helped me a bit.
    • Posted

So 1.5 mg for a week then off.  You know some people can get away with that but most can't; you are probably in WD, and I have to agree with Ian, if the insomnia gets too much I would definately reinstate the Mirt at 1.5 mg and stay there, get comfy again, then take it 6 nights a week, then 5 nights, then 4, and when you get to 2 nights a week do that for a couple of weeks, then take 1 night a week (same night) for a while ... just a thought, that's what I'd do.

Best wishes, hope you get some well needed sleep soon x

• Posted

I am seeing my GP next week and if there's no change we have agreed that I'll go back on a small dose, I was thinking 4.5mg as I have read WD symptoms kick in at around 2 weeks after the cut, therefore the last comfortable stage I was at was 4.5mg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.