Mirtazpine - significantly detrimental side-effects?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi,

i was wondering if someone might be able to offer some advice or insight into the following.

My mum has struggled with depression for many many years and has been on and off pills for much of that time. She has taken mirtazpine for the past couple of years, initially at 15mg  but more recently 30mg and is currently taking 45mg. Personally I am very opposed to pharmaceuticals but I understand that she feels that they do support her. 

She has seen psychiatrists who have amongst other things prescribed her quetiapine (which she came off herself as she found it really unhelpful). Anyway she is basically incredibly anxious all the time, unable to sit still, concentrate, very low mood, repetitively repeating words, crying out, ruminating, chewing things (self soothing?), poor quality sleep. She is 70 years old has also lost several stone in weight i am very worried that she is having an adverse reaction to these pills and very worried about her inability to tolerate this dose given her weight loss.  Previously her depression has just made her a bit of a sad-sack and really negative but I have never seen her in a state like this and it has been going on for several months. Her GP encourages her to remain on this course of drugs. 

I would be really grateful if this rings any bells for anyone?

thanks,

CLARE

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I hesitate to offer advice since I have been very stable for several years on a combination of mirtazapine 30mg with venlafaxine 225mg. Either alone didn't do the trick for me but together they suit me, controlling both depression and anxiety. However I agree with what others have warned about withdrawal symptoms. When I tried just breaking bits off the mirtazapine tablets I got troublesome brain zaps and 'cat on hot bricks' edginess so I haven't tried again. I can leave off the occasional 75mg of venlafaxine (I take three 75mg tablets a day) without suffering. My message is - has your mother had any counselling or CBT? That helped me to develop coping mechanisms which I can bring into play if I feel myself slipping. Incidentally I am 68 so near your mother's age.

• Posted

Hi pixie I'm very interested in what you think of venlfaxine my son has them he's been on them years and if he runs out of them for any reason he is physical sick and feels terrible he has 2 in the morning and he used to have 1 the afternoon but he.said the 1 in.the afternoon made his heart go funny anyway he chipped away everyday till he didn't have to take the afternoon one. One doctor said they are highly addictive one said there not.its just I haven't read much about them on here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.