Mirtazpine withdrawal... How long!?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on mirtazpine for nearly 3 years, solely to help with my insomnia episodes. I have only ever been on a dosage of 15mg.

I've decided to come off them now as i was increasingly groggy and couldnt get out of bed and was starting affect my work. I've been taking 7.5mg for about 4 months and 2 weeks ago I just stopped taking them.

I was fine for the first week but since then I have had chronic episodes of diarrhoea, once that stopped I feel constantly nauseous, no appetite, have lost nearly half a stone, every time I do eat, the food feels like it's sitting in my throat and my skin is really itchy.

I'm not going back on them as I can cope with the withdrawal symptoms but just wondered how long I can expect to be like this for?

I've always been a lover of food and mirtazpine made me gain nearly 2 stone so it's a bit of a novelty not wanting to eat at all but I would quite like to enjoy food again.

Any body been through similiar?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I stopped Mirtazipine approx 6 weeks ago. I decided to go cold turkey. I felt really nauseated and my eyes felt really itchy and I had no energy for approximately 5 weeks. I was determined not to go back on it as it made my RLS go crazy but my overwhelming symptom of withdrawal was chronic insomnia. ( I was also taking it for insomnia) I still struggle getting to and staying asleep but am now trying valerian instead. Stay strong
    • Posted

Weirdly, my insomnia seems to have eased and I'm actually sleeping very well! (Don't want to jynx it!)

If the insomnia came back that's the only reason id go back on them as I cannot cope with not sleeping.

Something I have tried which may be complete placebo but they do a body lotion from Lush called Sleepy Cream. I put it on my chest and up my neck before I go to bed and it really helps me sleep.

Don't worry I'll stay strong! 💪

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.