mirtqzapine and anger help??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all some may remember me posting a few days ago about starting this drug. Well I am sleepingb better and of a mornings eem to be able to function more like normal. Still feel down but able to cope. However I keep getting extreme lows( mainly in afternoon) where I cry uncontrolably and feel sh*tty and just makes me feel like I can't cope anymore and have thoughts that I want to die. Been to see a different doc today and he said my usual doc been too causious giving me just 15 after coming off 40mg citaloprqm and to go up to 30mg mirtaz. I am scaredt oo tho. I am so so angry at the moment since taking these. I am a screaming lunatic. I hate that I keep loosing it around the kids (about sandwiches or hubby or anything) and they keep worrying that I am going to cry or loose my temper. They are only 6, 8 and 11.. I'm such a bad mum. Hate what I am puttung them through and just makes me feel I shouldn't be here more. I did tell the doc they seem to be making me angry and that I'm loosing it and upsetting kids but he didn't say anything, he was running behind so don't know if he just wanted me gone. 

Has anyone else felt angry on mirtazapine. Am worried if I up it to 30 like he says that it will get worse. Can't believe how angry an irritable I am. Will it settle? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My experience is that 30 mg of Mirtzapine is a more effective dose. Initially, I was on 15 mg, but have been on 30 mg for about 15 months. There's a couple of things I can also recommend: (1) keep a diary noting your doseage and how you feel (2) moderate drinking. I've gone from 35-40 units to about 12 units per week.

For the record, I also take Olanzapine (5mg) and Concerta XL (72 mg).

So keep a diary and see your GP regularly. A remember that pills are not a magic fix on their own.

• Posted

I hope the 30 works better for me too, the 15 helped a bit but nowhere near enough sad finding life very difficult at the moment sad
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,

you are not a bad mum - you are a mum going through a bad time! There's a world of difference. I started on 15mg then increased to 30mg, for a short time I was on 45mg but found that too sedating. 30 works best for me. Try it and see, keep a diary, as suggested

• Posted

Thank u shelia the diary is a great idea. I had already started too keep one but never thoughta about noting the dosage. X
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,

The thing is with Mirt' when you're tired, like we are mid afternoon (your extreme lie that you feel) it's doubly bad, when we are tearful we're doubly bad, when we're angry ditto ... these are all side effects of the drug.

I've been at 15 mg (withdrawing slowly now) and its more sedating the lower the dose, it has a slow release sedative effect that lasts pretty much all day & is generally used as a start up towards the higher dose or for insomnia/anxiety . The higher doses are more for depression. At 15 mg & with the anger you feel - if you could only find yourself some rest time in the afternoon you would feel elevated for it, which sounds quite obvious really but we forget . I think as also, as Mirts other major side effect of fatigue, if we can't rest p.m. It can make up feel worse ..

Don't beat yourself up about these side effects making you angry towards your nearest & dearest - it's not you it's the nature of the drug. If you don't have insomnia or anxiety I'd say to try another AD, the fatigue doesn't really ever go (a year for me) be kind to yourself, bringing up kids is the hardest job of all, especially when we're poorly.

Wishing you well Michelle x

• Posted

Awww guys. Thank you so much! It's great to hear from others about there experience and you have all been so kind with your words I really do appreciate it. I took the 30mg last night but not moved of the sofa today. Just feeling bit bluegh. Got headache and I know tmi but have dioreah too. Think I have caught something which isn't going to help. 
  • Posted

Be kind to yourself, try and getting some rest this pm before the kids get back from school. Remember that your health and loving is heaps more important than a clean oven or ironing😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.