mirtzapine plus antidepressant?

Posted , 3 users are following.

does anyone use a combination of a low amount of mirtzapine for sleep, combined with an antidepressant ?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello suzie. Yes I do. How are you getting on and withh what other ad
    • Posted

i am currently just taking mirtzapine, 30mg but will be reducing gradually back to 15 mg.  i have a feeling i will need an antidepressant because my mood is not so great.  i am having anxiety on the mirtz as well as fatigue.
    • Posted

what med do you use and how much?  any side effects?  i am the queen of anxiety
    • Posted

Hi Suzie,

Were you ok when you started on the 15mg of Mirtazapine?  Or maybe a week or so after as the fatigue does fade slightly after that period.  I am interested as quite a few people on this forum have said that soon after upping the dose of Mirtazapine to 30mg anxiety kicked in, and so too with upping to 45mg.

I am on 15 mg and was also on Citalopram (andi depressent) and this combo worked fine for me.  However I am off Citalopram now, but had to wean myself off it slowly.

I think the fatigue is a permanent downside/side effect of Mirtazapine as it contains a strong slow release sedative which lasts all day, or so it seems for me personally.  I guess we can't have it all ways.

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

defintely got anxiety when med was upped.  now we are reducing it again.  however i still have anxiety and i think i may have to go onto something to calm that anxiety .. besides clonazapam.  it has been a trial and error for me, as i am sure it is with others.  did the citopram help with the anxiety?  i am very very frustrated with these ups and downs.  i was okay on 15 mirtz but i need something more ... that's why they upped the mirtz.  however, i don't got too much anxiety ..
    • Posted

how was the citalopram for you?  does it eventually help with anxiet?
    • Posted

hi, how was the citalopram?  does it help with anxiety?
  • Posted

I'm on cirtolpram in am and mirt pm.  It's for anxiety and sleep! But all ads make you anxious sad how you gettin on?
    • Posted

i thought they were supposed to help us with anxiety. how much are u on?  i am okay today but i definitely have been super anxious, not motivated .. all that stuff.  i am trying.  perhaps i am too impatient.  i can't handle anxiety.  how about u?
    • Posted

Hi Richard

Just wanted to say, with respect, that I have never heard that before ... that "all anti depressents" cause anxiety, anyone reading this part of the forum might be put off greatly by that comment, so just wanted to say that to even things out a little.

Best wishes

• Posted

hi calmer 46,

i can't remember if u are taking mirtz and how much.  i reduced to 22.5 but i am feeling very very sad.  do you recall when u went on mirtz howlong it took for the anxiety to go away?  i have only been on 30 for about 3 weeks.  i don't know if i should go back to 30.  i am going crazy

• Posted

Hello Suzie

In reply to you, scroll above to see my reply saying I was on 15 mg of Mirtazapine and still am, have been since last September.  It has been very good for me - and yes, it took the anxiety away straight away because before Mirt' I couldn't sleep - I think some people who up the dose seem to lose the help with sleep aid, and yet the higher doses are supposed to be more beneficial for depression.

If you are coming down from 30mg to 22.5mg as you stated above, I think you may have a little wobble as Mirtazapine isn't easy to change (can't explain why) some say change by 10% only and keep to that for two to three weeks to allow your body to adjust - this is important.

I can only think that if you have gone up from 15 to 30 and then come down from 30mg to 22.5 and are feeling uncomftable that you are experiencing some withdrawal effects ...  now I'm no expert but I would say, from what I have learnt, and I have done quite a bit of research, that you should not go down any lower for a few weeks until you feel alright/comfortable on 22.5 - again, this is important Suzie.  You are probably sensitive - everyone of us is different - you might want to talk to

your doctor about an additional med' whilst your body adjusts ... if you arte feeling this sadness that youu speak of ... maybe you will feel a little better by tomorrow or a few days ... I hope so.

My best wishes to you x

• Posted

sorry calmer in my experience i meant to say to me sorry sad 
    • Posted

hey suzie, sorry not reply earlier. what was you put on mirt for? i know sleeping but anything stopping you sleeping?
    • Posted

thank you, i don't know what to do.  i am feeling very sad.. whether i should take the 30 again.  i won't se that dr. for another 3 weeks.
    • Posted

sleepin problem, but also depression.  that's why they increased it slowly.  i have been on 30 for 3 weeks but experience alot of anxiety, now tapering down and feelin very very sad.  i don't know how much of this i can take ..
    • Posted

I think you need to stabalise on the Mirt' - going up and down has disturbed the balance.  Citalapram didn't help with my anxiety in reply to your question earlier - it doesn't have a relaxing effect like Mirt' has.  

As I said before, Mirt 15 seems to help people more as a sleep aid and therefore sleep eases anxiety.

Suzie if you don't feel any better by Monday call your doctor and insist you see him/her again.  

x

• Posted

chin up love smile well try and focus on positives. i beleieve citophlam helped with depression. Its a get up and go drug for me smile anxiety is better but as i was put on tablets for anxiety its hard to say. If your sad thats more depression than anxiety. 
    • Posted

the doctors won't see you here but i could call.  i think i will just go back up to 30 and call and let them know.  i will have anxiety, but my mood is just too low.  thank you for listening
    • Posted

Hi Calmer 46,

I tried reducing my Mirtz to 22.5 but felt incredible sadness .. so I sent back up to 30.  Today I feel less anxiety than I have in awhile.  Maybe the drug is starting to work?  Everyone is saying it is brutal to come off of.  Did you say your Mom took it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.