Mirtzapine Withdrawal Please Help ???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I have just come off Mirtzapine 15mg with doctors help and permission, everything was going fine and I'm being positive and keeping busy but just over the last week I can not stop itching my head, and at night it's my whole body.

I have taken hayfever tablets to help as chemist said but still can not stop itching I feel like I'm going mad it's very frustrating and could cry some days. Is this normal???

Please help anyone who has came off this drug!

Thank you very much

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Mirt contains a huge histamine block, if you stop taking it suddenly, rather than a slower taper, your body then gets an assault of histamine, which is what the itching is.

Ask your doc or pharmacist if you can take anything stronger. Is it one week since you stopped Mirt CT? How long were you taking it?

• Posted

Hi Calmer,

Thank you for replying, I was on Mirtz for 7 years and I was slowly coming off with doctors advice and having weekly appointments.

Yes it has only being a week since I have being off them altogether.

I'm going to ring my doctors today and see what they say etc

• Posted

How did you do your taper, what drops/doses & how long did you stay at each dose? And what was your final dose? Sorry to ask lots questions ugh ... Mirt sure can be tricky to come off, took me over a year.

Sometimes the pharmacy are very helpful with discontinuation of AD's too, but I think you're wise to consult your doc as you may need a higher dose.

• Posted

For a month I went to having 15mg one day then none the next so I was only having the mirtz every other day for a month, then when I saw the doctor again she approved to stop completely and I see her on the 25th this month.

Yeah I just would like itching to stop as it is unbeliveable some days

• Posted

You're not alone, this is common I read, what a pain !!  If you've done every other day for a month and had no other symptoms you could be lucky.  Hope all goes well for you x

• Posted

Yeah, I just spoke to the doctor and they want to see me as they said I shouldn't be itching at all I would be if I had stopped cold turkey but as I haven't I shouldn't But it has made me worry.

I did have trouble sleeping and belly ache and feeling sick but it's not as bad now. Hopefully it will get better.

• Posted

Try not to let it worry you, honestly if I had £5 for every person on this Mirt forum who has struggled with itching I could throw a party.  Honestly.  Doctors don't seem to know about the discontinuation symptoms of Mirt', how could they?  I mean you take it and you dont know, they don't take it - they're doctors and they don't know, bet your pharmacist knows maybe?  

Mirt contains the H1 histamine block, take it away after being on Mirt for some time and you have no protection hence the itching.  Benadryl (non drowsy) I think is good - mention this to your doc maybe?

• Posted

Thank you for your help and advice and I will tell my doctor about the suggestion.

I really appeciate someone getting back to me so thank you smile

• Posted

Hi Zoe

I was on mirtazapine for about the same time as you and I stopped Jan of this year. I have had eczema since a child and being on mirt more or less stopped it but since stopping mirt the eczema has come back!! I feel for you as it drives you mad. I have taken over the counter antihistamines which helped slightly. But the itching is worse at night. I am taking Phenegran which also helps with sleep. The itching is gradually getting better. So bear with it. I won't go back on mirtazapine ever again !! Hope it get better for you x

• Posted

Hi Marianne,

Thank you for getting back to me, I hope the itching will go soon, I will also try phengran to see if that helps.

I won't go back on Mirtzapine again either feel free to message anytime x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.