Mirtzapine withdrawals

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm reaching out for support really. my husband has been on a cocktail of antidepressants for 6 years. in that time he has never felt well. He started on pregablin, which he tapered off. if i knew what I know now I would have said stay off them, but the doctor put him on venalfaxine for 2 years he was in a state so he was taken off it over a 2 week period and put on mirtzapine and this is were we are. He cant work because his anxiety and dizziness is so bad. He has also developed tinitus. He withdrew off mirtzapine for about 6 weeks but felt awful so the doctor put him back on them and he is now shaking. The doctor said it must be him and needs to let them settle however hes been on them 5 weeks now and feels awful. He doesnt know what to do for the best and each doctor he has been to insist on tablets.

any reassurance or guidance please

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

doesn't sound like there helping him though so doctors are only reading out of a book most times any way mirtazipine is a very bad drug that is given to people mainly with manic depression. I dont know if this help or not but meds are lefal.

• Posted

No.

Mirtazapine is usually given for depression with insomnia or/and a lack of appetite.

• Posted

he needs to slow taper off the mirt. send me a friend request....sarah wray.....and i will add you. they have loads of info.

• Posted

Been there and well now to 95 %.

I have looked into others, compared, watched, written down etc.

There are some advice that seems to work.

1. Excercise. No matter what. Walking fast, start slow but do it EVERY day no matter what. Plus if 2-3 times with 3-4 hours between.
    2. Eat as healthy as possible. One day a week eat unhealthy if like.
    3. Listen to music you like with quite high volume.
    4. Antidepp that will work for many with a low initial dose are Venlafaxine morning and Mirtazapine night. Start low but do go.

Up to 225 resp 30 mg in a 1-2 month.

5. Possible minimal dose of sleep and anxiety medicine to get rythm in and feel better.
    6. Talk with skilled professional AND friends.

If follow ALL this, there is a BIG possibility to get well. It will take time, but it will be good again.

• Posted

thank you for all your feed back. I think we have come to the conclusion that he needs to come off them.

he will need to do it more slowly.

ive read that a keto diet really helps has anybody experiened this to support coming off meds

• Posted

Keto diet?

I would definitely suggest no carbs for breakfast - only fats and proteins. (plus tea or a little bit of coffee)

for example:

1. eggs
      2. nuts
      3. seeds
      4. fish etc

That's because in the morning we're high in serotonin, but proteins and fats in the absence of carbs increase dopamine.

As for Mirtazapine: reduce by roughly 10 - 20 percent every 2 weeks (10 percent if he took it for more than a year)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.