MIRZATAPINE AND ALCOHOL

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am now into my 7th week on 30 mg of Mirzatapine. I did feel some days were good at first but now every day is bad. Today is the worst so far. I am on holiday at my daughter's in Spain and we have been having a couple of glasses of wine with lunch and dinner.

I used to be on Venlafaxine and alcohol was never a problem. I am not an alcoholic but when on holiday I do like a few drinks. I know some people on the Forum have had bad experiences with alcohol while on Mirtazapine but I just wondered if that was the norm for everyone. I was hoping not to have to increase the dose yet again and if alcohol is the problem I will certainly give it up. In fact starting today I have stopped. I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday so I am hoping that my not drinking I may feel good again.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Unlike other antidepressants, mirtazapine is one of the ones you ready should refrain from drinking with. If you're wanting to feel better...you should deffo stop drinking until you're stable at least. I had some wine a few weeks ago and had a anxiety ridden 4days to follow. I have read that wine especially is a problem. I did have a couple of Bacardi and cokes a few days ago and it wasn't nearly as bad as the wine though still felt a bit iffy. I'm now pretty sure that I'm just not going to drink as I'd rather have my mental health than a few drinks. I'm on 45mg and have been for 2weeks now. But was on 30mg for 10weeks.
  • Posted

Sorry Patricia, no drinking .
  • Posted

I agree with you Rachael about not drinking. I was just interested to hear other people's experiences. Did you find much difference between the 30 mg and 45. I think I may have to go on 45 mg. Did you still feel bad on the 30 mg?

David you say no drinking. Did you have bad experiences?

• Posted

30mg helped but not enough. I upped to 45mg at 11weeks and didn't notice much difference initially however I've been having more and more 'normal' days on the 45mg so I think I'm pleased I did increase. I think its all a gradual thing. You have to learn to trust yourself again and I'm slowly doing this xx
  • Posted

Hi Patricia, yes. The drugs have already to be processed by liver, and now to add alcohol will not be wise for liver health, particularly if you also costume fruit juices etc unused fructose is also a liver burden. The real clanger for me though was the rebound anxiety attacks I got when I used to self medicate with it. Also try to reduce caffeine and no nicotine as they just set you up for anxiety. Getting there is not easy, but slowly reducing these stimulants helped me. For driving etc, there are limits for alcohol consumption. These drugs do not improve our motor coordination etc, eg Mirt has a welcome side effect of making us drowsy. Since the interaction of the 2 chemicals has not been studied, there is no known safe limit. So like pilots we should not drink at all and drive. Having said all that, if you want half a glass of red wine with dinner I won't tell.

D.

• Posted

Agree with pretty much all of what David has said. I think the IDD drink here and there can do no harm but only when you're well unto treatment and starting to feel the benefit. I drink decaff tea now but that's because I had sleep problems before but still drink the odd Pepsi in the day. I haven't found its made me more anxious however if a huge caffeine junkie...I can see how it may affect anxiety x
  • Posted

Hi Patricia,

Just thought I should mention that over christmas and new year I was taking citalopram (only started taking mirtazapine in Jan when doctor decided to try me with something else), anyway on citalopram I found that it didn't cause me any problems to have a few drinks, so same as you I thought well I'll be fine having a glass of wine whilst taking mirtazapine, but oh nooo it made me feel awful!! Anyway I know I've said before how I'm not drinking alcohol now, but just thought I would mention as you were asking about other antidepressants and alcohol.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Many many thanks to you all for your comments. Rachael you have made me feel much better about increasing the dose. I go home tomorrow so it will be much easier to give up the demon drink!! I am going to see how I am then before I ask the doctor for an increase. Funny enough I have felt quite good for most of today. But then that often happens and then bad days follow. Still this is first good day for about a week. Interesting what you said about the wine and Mirt. Sunset. No problem when taking Venlafaxine but awfu with Mirtazapine.

Thanks again Pat

• Posted

No problem Pat, I was a bit worried about an increase initially but have been pleasantly surprised with it. I too was having a series of good and then bad...almost as though the good days set off my anxiety but I think feeling better as a whole is gradual smile
  • Posted

Many thanks Rachael. I certainly won't be worried now if the doctor suggests increasing so many thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.