Misc. information true or false.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was looking for diabetes recipes when I came across the following information.  I don't know if it's rubbish or worth taking note of.

Vitamin E & C are useful in reducing and balancing blood sugar also Fish oil.

?Magnesium, Multi B vitamins, Evening Primrose Oil, Zinc.  Sounds like I would rattle.

Honey and cinnamon.

?A drink of Apple Cider Vinegar and water with a meal.   smile

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine, the minerals would certainly help. Chromium picolinate is also supposed to help. Both the oils you mention are high in omega 3- not sure how directly helpful this is.

I’ve heard cinnamon helps. 

Berberine, white kidney bean extract, and boron (I use natural forms of boron and berberine) are my favorites.

• Posted

Thankyou, I have put some of these on my shopping list for tomorrow.  I tried cinnamon on toast today and quite enjoyed it.   smile

?I'm not on insulin anymore, only Metformin and Jardiance tablets so anything that will help control levels is welcome.

• Posted

There is no particular diet for those with diabetes. I am therefore surprised that you found diabetes recipes. Where did you get them from?

Sarah

• Posted

Sarah, there is tons of information on diabetes diets!!!

I was very fortunate to have a close neighbor, with whom I dined frequently. He’s a wonderful cook and has diabetes that he controls with diet. He was gluten free and was always counting carbs and droning on about the glycemic index of various sorts of fruits. 

Several years later, my elderly mother was diagnosed with severe diabetes and was hospitalized. I stayed with her in the hospital and rehab. I screened all of her food and she moved in with me upon hospital release. So I monitored her food very closely. So closely that I named myself the food Nazi. I figured I’d give it a try even though docs told me she’d be lucky if she was able to get off insulin and onto oral medication. The docs were very adimant that she would always be diabetic, and would always be dependent kn medication and glucose testing.

I was shocked that in less than six months she was completely off medication and had no further blood sugar spikes. I mean shocked! I should say that in addition to diet, she also went to acupuncture regularly, and I also used herbs (berberine and citrus bergamont) initially to wean her off the oral meds. 

It’s been nearly two years now. She’s doing great and we no longer need to monitor her blood sugar levels other than routine blood tests. Sure, I still check it once in a while just in case, but it’s always fine. She’s on a gluten free modified soft food diet. I give her lots of protein smoothies and rice pasta with tomatoes sauce, vegetables and chicken. The key is to keep the protein levels high, as well as green vegetables. Exercise is also key in controlling diabetes. A paleo type  diet is optimal.  My mother has difficulties eating due to other health problems and having been intubated while in the hospital, so for a while I had to give her a lot of yogurt. 

The power of food as medicine is really quite amazing. I tell this story because people need to know the power we have by the food choices we make. 

I honestly thought it was hopeless to even try, but I’m glad I did!

• Posted

Well we need to be told the truth about this that's all I can say. When I was diagnosed a few years ago I was given leaflet information which specifically says there is no particular diet to follow.

No wonder people are confused!!

Sarah

• Posted

Sarah, if people cure themselves with diet, they won’t buy pills with side effects. Look at the side effects of your pills. That should motivate you plenty!
    • Posted

Why then does my GP just give me pills. I live in Wales and prescriptions are free.

But why do the doctors not do more to help people help themselves and educate them?

• Posted

Hi Sarah, it’s very expensive to educate people on how to eat properly. 

The belief is that a “good quality of life” includes eating unhealthy foods. Of course we know this is untrue, as happiness is NOT having to constantly be poked by needles. 

The system of western medicine is designed to distribute medications, not educate people.

• Posted

Not wishing to labour my point but I am on 22 tablets a day all free to me but someone is bearing the cost of them. My GP recently said he could not see any of the tablets that I could come off. Surely educating me could not be more expensive than that could it? and I am  only 1 person.
    • Posted

Sarah, you’re correct, it isn’t rational. I don’t know how it works in the UK, but in the US, I’ll tell you, they file out diabetes meds like candy. It’s big money for corporations and docs push it for them.

I can only tell you that I was absolutely shocked at how quickly my mother’s “Irreversible” was turned around in only a few months with a strict and disciplined diet.

Look at annual balance sheet for manufacturers of metformin if you want a real answer.

• Posted

Elaine you’re welcome. I used citrus bergamont and berberine to wean my mother off the metformin. My plan was to use the white kidney bean extract next, but she didn’t need it. 

The white kidney bean extract is marketed here as a “carb blocker” for weight loss .  I’ve found it very helpful for myself in combatting “carb coma” that follows a pancake breakfast or pasta dinner. I rarely eat high carbs, but I keep the white bean extract on hand just in case.

• Posted

I first got diabetes in 2013, received loads of info in hospital so when I returned home I watched my diet very carefully.  After a few months I was taken off 4 a day insulin shots  I believed I was cured and I gradually started eating all the wrong but delicious foods I loved.  Where did I end up - back in hospital.  When I was home the second time I changed my bad habits again and again was taken off insulin.  So far so good, (with Metformin and Jardiance).  Exercise I believe helps blood glucose, I'm also doing the exercise for what my Dr. claims is asthma/COPD, it all helps.smile 

• Posted

Hello Elain,  thank you for sharing. It really is shocking, how quickly even the worst cases of diabetes (2) can be turned around with diet and exercise. I was told exercise also helps. 

In the case of my mother, she was so sick after her hospitalization that she didn’t have a choice, except to eat what I gave her or not. Once her numbers were stable, I gradually allowed her to eat more sugars- more fruit and ice cream as well as honey with her yogurt. The honey is a lot easier on the body than sugar, so if you must sweeten, honeys a better choice.  

However, now that she’s doing much better, she raids the kitchen at night looking for sweets and will binge. She has some dementia, so then she doesn’t always remember doing this. I have to hide the fruit at night and can no longer buy ice cream. So the cravings are still there.

I’ve had a really tough time getting her to eat meat, so I give her protein smoothies to keep her protein up. Those also have s banana to sweeten and stevia. The protein is very important because it helps stabilize the blood sugar and reduces cravings.

I also give her an essential amino acid complex, multivitamin, multimineral, coQ10 , oregano oil and other supplements. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.