miscarriage

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am just beginning to recover from the worst experience of my life. Last Thursday I began to bleed slightly. I was 10 wks pregnant. I saw a doctor who examined me. I had cramping too and was terrified what was to come as I have suffered 2 miscarriages in the last 5 yrs. He booked me in for a scan on Monday but I knew it wouldn't happen. On Thursday evening I had a bath and began to suffer from constant pain in my abdomen. We went to hospital. As I got out of the car I felt a gush of blood. My partner got a wheelchair and we went straight through in A & E. The blood began to gush out of me while I waited in A & E. A nurse helped me to undress at which point I passed out and was violently sick. My blood pressure took a dive. I felt lots of huge clots come away. I spent 6hours in A & E until my blood pressure was stabilised. Over the next three days I passed out 3 more times, vomited 6 times had six infusions of saline, 1 infusion of concentrated saline, 4 units of blood. I had a doctor attempt to remove tissue from my uterus by hand and by speculum while I was fully consious. I ended up with a D & C and a catheter. I couldn't get out of bed for four days. At its lowest point my blood pressure dropped to 53/30. I am still trying come to terms with my loss. I have flashbacks of the events we went through. I didn't realise you could be so ill and survive! I needed to get this off my mind as I need to move on. I have other children and need to recover mentally as quickly as I can. I am sorry that this was a very graphic account of my experiences. I did not intend to upset anyone. [/b]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

There is no excuse for carrying out such procedures without a GA or heavy sedation and I think you should sue the hospital. What you had, however, was not a miscarriage, it was a (spontaneous) abortion. It is only termed a miscarriage if it occurs during the last trimester. You therefore need to put this in your complaint to the hospital. Good luck with the legal action.
  • Posted

I know this post was a while ago now but I have just recently had a similar experience. I have had 2 miscarriages, the first was a complete miscarriage at 7 weeks and I passed the clots at home and didn't need much treatment, but the 2nd miscarriage was incomplete(silent) where I should have been 12 weeks but the baby didn't have a heartbeat at my first scan. I started passing clots at home that night and was admitted back into the early pregnancy ward where I passed further clots, had 3 d&c's. Then I went into cervical shock which sounds like what might have happened to the lady above. It was a very scared experience and was resolved with me being out on a drip and given the vacuum treatment where they remove the remainder of of pregnancy. Cervical

Shock is when the clots get stuck in the cervix and the lady loses a lot of blood, symptoms are dizziness,

Nausea, loss of hearing and fainting. If you are in early miscarriage it's important to get yourself to hospital in case this happens.

FYI ZoeRPM. I found your comments upsetting in a couple of posts where you state early miscarriage is classed as abortion, this is not true. Early loss of a baby before 24 weeks is called miscarriage, wherein there is

Different types of miscarriage, after 24 weeks it is called a stillbirth, this is according to British NHS guidelines. Hope this info helps other women who have had similar experiences.

• Posted

Here is my citation:

ABORTION

The expulsion or removal of an embryo or fetus [sic] from the uterus at a stage of pregnancy when it is incapable of independent survival (i.e. at any time between conception and the 24th week of pregnancy).

Oxford Concise Medical Dictionary, Oxford University Press, 1998.

• Posted

I am not disputing there is no such terminology as abortion, however that is when a woman decides to terminate her pregnancy through choice. Which is not the same as when a pregnancy ends early without choice.

• Posted

. The most important point is why you had these miscarriages and whether they are preventable in the future. For this you need analysis of the foetus and tissue-typing of both yourself and the father. If the two of you share two many alleles on the major histocompatibility complex you'll never carry a pregnancy to full term. Perhaps this should be your starting point, even if you have to pay for the tissue-typing. I fully appreciate the distress that this is causing but unless you get to the root cause of the problem it will just go on happening.
  • Posted

Hi Claire and Zoe,

Sorry I haven't posted sooner and I don't want to cause any more disagreement but from our Patient Leaflet here https://patient.info/health/miscarriage is below quote:

What is a miscarriage?

Miscarriage is the loss of a pregnancy at any time up to the 24th week. A loss after this time is called a stillbirth. At least 8 miscarriages out of 10 actually occur before 13 weeks of pregnancy.

Note: in the past, medical information has sometimes referred to a miscarriage as a spontaneous abortion. This can be upsetting, as in usual language the word abortion is used to mean a procedure to end a pregnancy.

The definition quoted in Zoe's post above is from 1998 and while some of the medical world may term miscarriage "spontaneous abortion" the accepted terminology now is as Claire says, ie miscarriage before 24 weeks and stillbirth after this. Our professional articles define them as such.

I will edit the post above as people who have suffered will not see it as a "silly argument" and hopefully the discussion can get back to advising/experiences rather than going off topic.

Regards,

Alan

Emis Moderator

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.