Miscarriage after flu vaccination

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am trying to research any link between a very early pregnancy flu jab and possible miscarriage in the first trimester.

My daughter was found to have an 'empty sac' at a 9-week scan. She underwent a surgical miscarriage. She has a Rhesus Negative blood group.

She was assured when she was very newly pregnant (4 weeks) that it was safe to have the flu vaccine and so she went ahead with this. She's now wondering if there is any connection between her miscarriage and the flu vaccine. Does anyone have any similar experience or information.

Thanks for any help you can give. Rosie

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would suggest that you seach Google Scholar for research papers. Do remember, however, to use the correct terminology. This is not a miscarriage. It is an abortion. It is only termed a 'miscarriage' when it occurs in the third trimester. You need, therefore, to search for 'Influenza' AND 'Spontaneous abortion'.
  • Posted

Many thanks for this info Zoe, I shall definitely see if I can find any research on this subject. Best regards, Roseann
  • Posted

You have provided some of the information necessary to help but the crucial part is missing: was the father of the baby Rhesus - or Rhesus +? If the latter, this could have been the cause of the abortion (this is NOT a miscarriage, it is a spontaneous abortion). In future, she needs to ensure that anyone siring a child with her is Rhesus - or she'll probably have even more trouble next time, which could be fatal.
  • Posted

Thanks for this Zoe. I am pretty sure that the father is Rhesus positive, but my daughter had had something called an 'Anti-D' injection following her first successful pregnancy, which should, I believe, have prevented a spontaneous abortion. She has now separated from the 'sire', so do you really think she should be seeking out Rhesus negative partners in future? Crumbs, this limits the field a bit, doesn't it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.