Misdiagnosed a TIA

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm looking for some advice, I am a 35 year old female and in august 2015 I had an episode where I lost my speech and had numbness down my left arm and in my face lasting a couple of minutes. The day after I went to my GP who referred me to the TIA clinic. I had all the relevant tests ( MRI brain, carotid Doppler and bloods) and was told I had a TIA and was put on clopidogrel and blood pressure medication. All was well until march 2017 where I had another episode where I lost my speech and had only half vision in one eye, went to my GP and was again referred to the TIA clinic where I went through all the tests again to be told again I had another TIA and my carotid arteries are slightly narrow but not enough to restrict blood flow,my blood pressure medication was changed as it was still really high and I was put on atorvastatin.

On the 9th June I was at the hospital for a cardiac stress test, as I left I didn't feel well, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I went in to work where I had another episode of left handed weakness and speech problems. Went back to my GP who again referred me to TIA clinic, this time I went I saw a different doctor who said I've never had a TIA and to come off the medication and said they were unexplained episodes. So I've been on clopidogrel for nearly 2 years when I never needed them and I'm still on the wiser as to a diagnosis. Does this sound right? I'm still not convinced that I haven't had a TIA but if I haven't what else could it be?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i I know how you feel i had multiple Tia episodes within mins for almost a week i was training really hard at the gym i think it was exercise related my neurologist because i stressed my body really bad for exercise.My doctor did all test they we're all negative for tia but my whole left side went numb arm,face leg the whole body and i was having trouble speaking and the dr said it was a Tia sometimes referred to as a mini stroke.That was in july last year so far so good no more Tia Thank God.My dr says the best thing is to watch your diet .Try to change the way you eat to lower cholesterol levels.So watch your fat intake to lower all your numbers .That will reduce the chances of ever getting another one.the only medication he did put me on atorvastatin for 6 months and brilinta blood thinner for 8 months but now is only 81 mg of aspirin .i refuse to let that put fear in me i'm back at the gym but i reduce my workouts to only one hour i was doing 2 hours .Just change your diet all will be well if you do your part .take care

• Posted

i forgot to say it's possible to get undetected Tia there is no sign or damage i ever had one but the dr said i did cause those are the symtoms.the numbeness abd soeech problem

• Posted

Hi Rusi123 I was already on blood pressure medication, atorvastatin plus I took aspirin 75 mg daily when I had the TIA.  So they have swapped tha aspirin to Clopidogrel.  It certainly sounds to me that you've had a TIA?  Do you know the name of the first Dr/Consultant that you saw on your first referral?  I would question the differing opinions if only for your own peace of mind.

?I wish you good health and thanks for the message

• Posted

Hi Rusi. It does make you wonder. I had a similar incident I was told was a TIA but they could not determine what actually caused it. Had numbness and reduced power for half hour down right side. Happened twice in one day. Had all the tests but could only find some hardening of arteries. As you are, I am now on clopdogrel, statin and now blood pressure pills. Had bouts of what I would call buzziness down right side every second day after that for about 4 weeks then seemed to settle. Have had episodes where I feel ill, sometimes tingling  and I have gone to A & E to be checked. They never find anything wrong so I just carry on. One doctor suggested i may have an occasional irregular heartbeat that makes me feel ill and he also said that this condition can cause a TIA but it is difficult to detect. Found that strong coffee sometimes gave me this ill feeling so have cut out coffee. I have read that stress is another factor so it is very difficult to figure out how to stop another TIA or episode. Seems like watch diet, light exercise, low alcohol intake, no smoking, lose weight and de-stress (easier said than done I know). Hope you do not have a recurrance Rusi.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.