Misdiagnosed anal fissure - it was a STI

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey, so I thought about sharing my experience as this might help someone struggling with the same symptoms.

Everything started with a change in my bowel movements for no reason, my stools were harder and had anal pain during the night, initially thought it was because the strain when passing the stools. I noticed I had piles and I treated as constipation, took laxatives a few days but understood that I cannot take it forever, so contacted my GP and got some fiber suplement, but this just made my constipation even worse, I then started having discharge, bleeding. I was feeling full all the time and it was painful to poo. I suspected this could be smth related with sexual infection, so I ordered the home test kit (it was the begining of pandemic so the clinic was closed), this took a week to get it and meanwhile decided to contact my gp again. Now i was prescribed lactulose to soften my stools. My condition deteriorated, contacted GP once again and was diagnosed anal fissure, got GTN ointment for 8 weeks. He was sure it was not a sexual infection. It was very painful time, at this point I basically spent my whole day in bed, many hours in pain. I had anal fissure in the past and knew that there was something else bothering. I got a face to face appointment finally, the GP fingered me and confirmed his diagnosis. I insisted that I could feel two ulcers in my rectum which are not fissures, also the tissues were swollen, but he was sure about his diagnosis so asked me to keep applying GTN. I could not wait any longer for the STI test results so called the sexual clinic and insisted to be seen as emergency. In the evening I was diagnosed lymphogranuloma venereum, best known as LGV. The doctor said the anal swab test results will be in a couple of days to confirm it, as he could not see any fissure in the proctoscopy he did and my symptoms were quite clear. I could start the treatment right away, three weeks of antibiotics. Two days after I was feeling better, and could restart my normal life slowly. I was not constipated no more, not much pain. After three weeks I still have some drops of blood, the doctor said it would take a week or two to settle down, which actually happened.

If you ever have something similar, and you practise anal sex, please do check for STI before the symptoms worsen. I had a check up three weeks before evrything started, so I thought I was clean but i might have caught it within that period.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.