misdiagnosed with sciatica

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, i was diagnosed with sciatica for 8 weeks suffering horrendous pain, i was taken in for emergency surgery after begging for an mri. on the eve of the mri i was told i had ces...the damage i have been left with is awful yet the gps carry on with their buisness and day to day lives....apparently the gps were looking for "red flag signs" but didnt feel the need to inform me...why would they im only the patient..so why oh why in an emergency situation which ces is was i told i was "not" one...am i the only one to be let down by the medical profession, love to hear your stories

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maryem83,

I too had the same experience. I was told I was exaggerating my symptoms and attention seeking. Had surgery 18days after I had stopped walking, now living with chronic pain and symptoms from the damage. Its been 9 minths since, have improved a bit and returned to work but its too much hard work. I have engaged solicitors to represent me with clinical negligence claim. Life totally chnged forever. Hang in there, do not despair. Stand up for yourself. 

• Posted

Hi

I was taken to hospital in an ambulance face down as i could not sit or lie on my back due to the extreme pain i was in.

I was seen by a casualty doctor who did not examine me even after he was informed of my past diagnosis of prolapsed discs, i was given codeine tablets and a diclophenic injection then sent on my way.

2 days later still in extreme pain i realised my right leg had gone numb along with my buttock, GP sent me straight back to A & E where CES was diagnosed.

Long story short i am left with many problems that could have been avoided if the doctor had done his job. I complained to PALS who basically told me to go away, so i retained a solicitor and sued, the 40K was a great help but does not bring my old life back.

• Posted

In Deceber 2014 my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer, chemo, then surgery, and finally radio therapy was performed over most of 2015. Her clinical oncologist at the time prescribed Tamoxifin as her cancer had been estroegen hungry, and it was felt that although the drug would cause early menopause, this drug would give her the best chance of avoiding futher breast cancer. She had a full body scan in December 2016 and '17, which was completely clear. From about February this year, my wife has been getting increasingly worse back and leg/foot pain, which she had seen her local GP repeatably about, only to be informed that Sciatica was one of many possible sufferable conditions caused by Tamoxifin, and they urged her to continue taking the drug. On Good Friday when her pain became unbearable she returned to her GP. At last he suspected something else was taking place and referred her for a lumbar x-ray of which a dark shadow showing a mestastised mass was on her spine. Subsequently he ordered a full-body bone scan on Easter Monday. After I stated to the reception that the results were needed urgently, they dragged the heels for 4 days and finally after I rang them on the Thursday they gave the results to her GP. Today, Saturday her GP informed us both that in his opinion, my wife had inoperable stage 4 bone cancer, the bone-scan had revealed cancers to 90% of her bones all over her body. He surmised that the cancer had probaly invaded most of her major organs as well but could't say definatively because the scan had only been for her bones. She is in so much pain, I on the other hand want to strangle somebody, I am filled with rage, all I can do is watch her suffer. She is to see other oncologists next week. The truly sad part is in about 7-10 days we get the keys to a house we have been building for the past 6 months, something we decided to do when we thought she had won her greatest battle. Is there any justice in this world?

• Posted

I'm so glad you brought up this point. I feel exactly as you do. I suffered over a year with complete loss of anal wink resulting in a completely prolapsed bowel followed by a series of other muscle failures till I insisted on an mri. 14 hours after having it done my family doctor called me into the office right away. She was asking me certain things, no doubt looking for the red flags and just as in your case never telling me why or what the red flags. Had she or the neurosurgeon told me the term cauda equina syndrome I would have looked it up and known 100% that was me. Instead the neurosurgeon determined it wasn't ces and thus I waited another 3 weeks and had minimal removable of disk material. Wake up time and well guess what the neuro was wrong. It was ces and if ANYONE had suggested it earlier I would have known without a doubt because i had symptoms I didn't

• Posted

Today Wednesday 26/4/17, has been another horrible day, Anita has started losing control of her gag reflex, and her saliva glands are failing resulting in an inabaility to swallow properly and a dry mouth. Also nervous tic's have started occuring and now her ribs and stirnum have started to ache. Today also she started using pure Morphine for breakthru pain 3-5ml as needed, which because of the taste I mix in her morning fresh vegetable juice. Another bad sign is tonight for the first time in our married life, she has begun snoring. Onco' has told me to prepare for the worst and it's going to be quick, thank the powers that be I say, her pain is considerable. She takes Palexia Sustained Release 250mg, Lyrica 250mg3 times per day, she wears a Morhine patch 25mg which is changed every 3 days and now has the Morhine liquid 3-5ml as per breakthru. Palletive Care Services have be contacted and they will teach me how to care for her till the end. She's so stoic, she accepts that soon adult diapers will be required along with plastic sheets, I love her so much, it breaks my heart to see her like this. As advised by my GP, I have contacted a funeral director to cremate her as per her wishes, that was brutal. I have experience denial, rage/anger, and now acceptance, crying with her and without her through it all, now I have reached acceptance, I am focused on giving her the attention and love that she requires and will ensure her dignity is maintained. It goes without saying that my soulmate will be sorely missed. I just hope that sharing this with someone else is able to give some comfort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.