misdiagnoses or not

Posted , 4 users are following.

approx 20 years ago i was diagnosed with arthritis and have been taking arthrotec for all these years as well as being put on other medication as the arthritis was depressing me.approx 16 months ago i found out the only way to diagnose arthritis is to have a blood test.20 years ago i was NOT sent for a blood test,the doctor just took notes of what i said and came up with the conclusion i had arthritis.16 months ago,when i found out this,i went back to the doctor and told him,he sent me for blood tests.when the results came back i asked to see them which he said no.as he was reading the results,he looked very puzzled and when i asked di i have arthritis he replied yes,slight.if 20 years ago i did in fact have arthritis would it not be severe 20 years later and not slight.i do not think now,i have arthritis.what would by taking arthrotec cause damage to me if i do not have arthritis..i am requsting for access to my medical files

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear your troubles, are you in any pain now ?  
  • Posted

Hi

Do you have any pain now or any mobility problems.....how does your arthritis manifest itself?

What arthritis were you diagnosed with? OA RA....there are 200 types of arthritis.

Cant say I've ever heard of that tablet...I'm in the UK

I'll google it

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi

I've just googled it and it says it is diclofenic and misoprostol?? Diclofenic I know  the other i dont know.

I dont think many are on diclofenic now {in the UK anyway} its an anti inflammatory....they all have side effects to do with heart problems and most doctors seem to have taken their patients off it and changed them to Naproxen....another anti inflammatory....It appears to be the best of a bad lotbiggrin

Love

Eileen

• Posted

hi eileen and nick...i suffer from other illnesses and in a lot of pain as it is.i was also put on amitriptolene because of depression through what my illnesses where causing me.i then went even worse and attempted suicide on a number of occasions because of my health issues.when i saw a shrink,i told him/her that i atempted suicide because my limitations regarding my issues,one being the so called arthritis..would taking all this medication for something i don't think i have,cause me serious harm health wise.my head is in a spin.1st being doubled dosaged on sleeping pills,then arthritis,then depression
  • Posted

hi eileen and nick...i suffer from other illnesses and in a lot of pain as it is.i was also put on amitriptolene because of depression through what my illnesses where causing me.i then went even worse and attempted suicide on a number of occasions because of my health issues.when i saw a shrink,i told him/her that i atempted suicide because my limitations regarding my issues,one being the so called arthritis..would taking all this medication for something i don't think i have,cause me serious harm health wise.my head is in a spin.1st being doubled dosaged on sleeping pills,then arthritis,then depression
  • Posted

as for which arthritis it is,i do not know.the doctor didnt send me for any blood tests,which is the only way to determine you do actually have arthritis.he just come to the conclusion i had it.he did not examine me either.
    • Posted

Hi

No X Ray or MRI or anything like that

Not sure that I remember a blood test but it was a long time ago....I know RA you have blood tests but mine is OA they came to the conclusion via X Rays and then an MRI

I'm sorry you are suffering from Depression......I suffered from it "mildly" at one stage so I have a very rough idea

Was it a gP you saw or a doc at the hospital?

If it was a GP I would ask for a referral to the hospital as a starting point.  See what they do. Also mention your meds and see if they can be changed. I wouldnt sugggest you come off them by yourself.....but if it is OA once you are diagnosed its the GP who deals with you, mostly pain killers and anti inflammatories ......but going back again if you havent been to a hospital ask for a referral and stick to your guns.

If you have problems with your GP why not change.....lots of people do.

Sorry I'm not being a lot of help

keep in touch and let us know what happens

Love

Eileen

• Posted

no blood tests,no scans,no x-ray's..no examination..it was my GP.he just wrote things down from what i was telling him,then wrote prescription for arthrotec and told me i had arthritis..how could he have possibly come to that conclusion by himself..this was 20 years ago and could have been as simple as a bug.but he did not examine me or anything..the main thing i am concerned about is..for 20 years i have been taking 2 tablets a day for this condition for 20 years.a condition i may and i really do think,i have not got.what harm will taking these tablets have on me and have done to me.
    • Posted

sadly that is the conventional medicine world.....this is why I've been taking supplements for 25 yrs for my issues, a couple meds like for thyroid and blood pressure and otc pain meds....I woke up years ago and don't have a lot of trust in conventional med.

Have you checked the side effects of this drug and if you might have any.

• Posted

hi joy,...yes have checked side effects...not sure on how long after i was told this news,i went into depression.i was prescribed anti depressents.i am still on them and have attempted suicide in the past.reasons i did was because of my illnesses,as my life was restricted.i was not happy health wise..being 25 years old and told you have arthritis,knocks you back a bit...also i have a lot of migranes and headaches,which is another side effect and i take tylex 500/30mg and 50mg tramadol

• Posted

Hi

It sounds as if you need to come of these tablets

BUT NOT ON YOUR OWN.

We aren't medically trained but under the supervision of another doctor. I'm an arthritis care volunteer and it isnt the end of everything when you get the diagnosis.

You just need to know what kind,

what meds you should be on,

how to come off the ones you are on safely {if thats what the doc decides, and has it done any harm taking them for a prolonged period.

Then thats the start of a new life for you.......You will learn how to cope with arthritis. There are loads of different painkillers if one of them is giving you side effects you just go back and tell your GP and ask what else there is.

Good Luck

Eileen

• Posted

The arthritis I deal with first came into my lower back when I was 18....my mother and her sisters all dealt with osteoarthritis, back in their days, it was otc pain pills and dealing with it as best they knew how. They all lived long lives in spite of the arthritis....

Now RA is a whole other devasting issue as I see it.

I'm 76 and manage it all and had a pretty active busy life in spite of the OA in my body and I went to the gym for probably 30 yrs and worked out....I was not fanatic but worked out.I took my share of otc pain meds during my long life, but it didn't stop my life.

A hip replacemnt in 2010 stopped me more than anything. I was 72 at that time. I've come out of that with many complications, our bodies don't like to be cut up.

An MD on our US radio who does Prolotherapy work, says at every one of his programs, if you want to stay healthier, stay away from doctors...often if you think something is wrong the doc will script for a drug, and then here come all the side effects from that drug..

I'm not sure what your issue is and hear that you are not even sure.

I'm of the thinking that just about for every issue, there is a supplement (s) to help us out. And then the nutrition angle.

• Posted

my issue is...if i have been taking arthrotec 75 tablets twice a day for 20 years,and i do not have arthritis,what damage to my body,what harm could this drug have done to me..will it have an effect on my insides,my kidneys,liver etc...
    • Posted

You must mean 75mg twice a day not 75 tabs...I don't know what to tell you, 20 yrs is a long time....

I have been taking grape seed extract, powerful antioxidant, for 19 yrs daily but it's been all good on my body.

Are you in the UK or US, can you change doctors.J

• Posted

im uk..yes can change my doctor...which i will be doing..just need to know what possible damage it has done..will soon find out as i will be getting my medical records then seek an expert to see whats what.
    • Posted

Morning  (7.20am|}

Why dont you go about it the other way.....

Just change your doctor, you dont need your medical records to do tha...They will get your medical records from your {now} GP . They might get them quicker than you will.....have more "clout"???

Once you get a new doc, he gets your records, then see what he says about the records and explain to him the problem you have. You may not have to seek an expert. That sounds like money to meeek Not sure what sort of an expert you would get in touch with.question

This new doctor might be horrified by your story and  your records and refer you to the hospital and just  see where it goes from there?

I just think another GP would have a better chance of getting your records sent to him than you would.

Whatever you do keep us updated please......I'm in the North East, dont know where you are but things shouldnt be much different

Love

Eileen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.