Misdiagnosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

has anyone here been misdiagnoised with shingles? my daughter was and put on two different cycles of antivirals then told to ride it out. after a late night trip to hospital they said it wasnt shingles but there were no dermatologists as it was a sunday night and we were going on holiday the next morning. he gave her 30g of co codamol to take regularly throughout the day with ibrophen inbetween. she seems to be getting worse and has times where she shakes and twitches because she says her nerves in her arms tense and hurt. she has had a massive bruise appear near the rash and one of her big toes keeps seizing when straightened. the co codamol is making her drowsy and conspitated but she isn't sleeping due to the itching and pain. i know this isn't really shingles related but i thought there xould be someone whos been in the same position

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

its possible to be misdisgnosed but a competent dermatologidt or gp should be sble to.

it is not hard to disgnose, its a pretty unique condition.

it sounds awful what she is going through

the anti virals shouldnt have an adverse affect either e or w o shingkes.

she sounds allergic

you need a better medical consukt

• Posted

Unfortunately I can’t really help other than saying just in case this is shingles she really shouldn’t be taking ibruprofen. It can really worsen the condition.

• Posted

Hi Grace. Yes, most of us here were diagnosed with many other illnesses before getting a correct shingles diagnosis. So, we all understand the frustration you are feeling and also having to watch your little girl suffer makes it worst of all. I am truly sorry. Relieved to hear that she does not have shingles but whatever she does have sounds urgent also. Did the doctor mention anything about auto-immune or low immunity?

There is a rare condition called "Lichen planus" that causes rash to the skin and causes itching and pain at beginning of the rash. Again, it is rare but maybe worth testing if docs have not already. There are also allergens that can cause her symptoms. Before her rash, was she taking any antibiotics or steroid medication? Where is her rash now? So sorry you are going through this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.