Miserable & losing hope! Bleeding, quad weakness & 2 MUAs...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've only just found & signed up to this forum, I would welcome any advice...I had a partial (medial) meniscectomy 2 months ago & despite thinking it was a relatively straight-forward op, it didn't go smoothly! Post-op I was in agony at home for 3 days, I'm a 'tough nut' normally but was crying constantly with my husband having to dress me & take me to the loo, I literally couldn't put my leg down! I slept in the lounge for 3 nights! It turned out I had bleeding into the knee joint, 2 large syringes of blood were removed & I thought that would be me back on track to a "normal" recovery. But... my leg bend was barely anything (30 degrees) & I still needed 2 crutches as my leg was so weak. The surgeon diagnosed "profound quad weakness" & I am seeing a physio to help.  Over the past 2 months since the op I've had 2 MUAs due to the lack of progress with the bend (despite trying hard with physio) as I was told scarring (likely caused by the bleeding into the joint) was causing the lack of bend. The first MUA hardly did anything, the second one (last week) has finally given me more range - I'm up to 120 degrees (with a push & pain)

I'd be really interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience & how you're getting on now...very weak quads and the resulting very weak & unstable knee? I shouldn't google (!!) but when I do, partial meniscetomy patients seem to be up and about within 6 weeks, yet here's me 10 weeks later still not walking unaided, not driving and I've have been told it'll be months not weeks until otherwise! Any advice welcome! Thanks so much x

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sounds miserable! What is MUA? Is it manual manipulation? I had TKR and my dr mentioned doing that, I was like, what? No! I am at 91• My knee is healing well but now they think I have that CRPS, bc of sensitivity and a rash!!?? Hope someone can help you!!
    • Posted

Hi, yes it's Manipulation under Anaesthetic, to rip the internal scar tissue that's built up and causing the restricted movement. I'm glad your knee is healing well. I think the big test for me is the not knowing how long things are going to take to get better. If you have a broken bone, you give yourself 6-8 weeks for it it mend, whereas this is just open-ended! This forum is helpful in making me feel less alone though, and really nice to hear the positive outcomes people are getting as well. 

• Posted

Hello

Sorry your having trouble. Three months ago I had partial lateral and medial meniscectomy and my ACL removed because it was ruptured.  My knee is still swollen and painful every day and stiff when it bends and straightens.   I didn't walk for a while after surgery where it seems a lot of people did it ina. Few days to a week.  Everyone heals at different times. Just a make sure the surgeon knows where your at. Physical therapy helped a lot and I wear a brace. I went back to work 2 weeks post op but it is a challenge every day.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.