miserable on gabapentin

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking gabapentin for a few months now I'm up to 3600 while it does help my neck pain it has done nothing for my lower back pain or my knee pain. At the start the side effects floored me but after a week I felt back to normal everytime he raised my dose it was more of the same but I started noticing that my body felt swollen and weak and now that I'm at 3600 my body is in pain and weaker and my sleep has worsened by that meaning I'm averaging 3 hrs a night takes me forever to fall asleep and when I do about 3 hrs in I have to pee. So I get up pee and again I can't fall asleep by the time I start to nod off again its 730 and time to get up I'm at the point I just want to stop taking all my meds and deal with my pain I'm also on norco 10-325 a mucsle relaxer and a pain med for inflammation I just so sick of being sick and tired and in pain any suggestions my pain level is pretty high on a daily basis

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I feel your pain. I am also on gabapentin. My concerns are why such a increase all the time? I notice fr everyone. 😣

• Posted

Oh I know I don't get it either. I started at 3 tabs at 300 mg only at night before bed then 4 weeks later he up it to 1 tab 300 mg 3 X a day for 900mg a day then 4 weeks later 2 tabs 300 mg 3 X a day for 1800 mg a day then 4 weeks later he switch me to 1 tab 800 mg 3 X times a day 2400mg a day 4 weeks later he switch me to 2 tabs 600 mg 3 X a day for 3600 mg a day and now I have an appt. set for the 24th and I'm afraid he going to up it again. I think I'm at the point of frustration and just want to quit everything.

• Posted

I went through that ...not being able to sleep. So I have now, with the doctor's approval started taking my evening dose earlier and holding a small amount for when I wake up. I normally sleep. 3 hr shifts so I keep a dose for that period when I wake for the bathroom. Work with your doctor but do not give up. Don't let the pain win!

• Posted

Hey thanks I never would've thought to separate my bedtime doses into 2 parts I go next week to dr. I will ask him about that but I am also concerned about the weight gain swelling I'm experiencing since starting gabapentin I have gained 50 lbs I have been changing my diet and started taking supplement to help with the swelling I am so swollen that I'm not sure it's actual weight gain or inflammation sometimes my joints and legs are so swollen that I can't extend my arms and legs hands and feet normally and sometimes just after taking a dose I can feel the swelling in my throat it's harder to swallow but it seems to go down after a couple of hours so I'm not sure wether to be on this drug anymore

• Posted

Not sure about the swelling because I never had that. I know people are writing adverse reactions to this drug but I have been on it for years. As far as I am concerned, it has worked miracles with pain and restless legs/arms. In the beginning I gained some weight and I think when the pain got under control I ate more. Now I walk a lot and really watch my diet and salts. I have lost weight. Make a list of questions for your doctor so you address all your concerns and stay on this site because I have learned from other people. 
  • Posted

Hi Samkc.I'm probably not a good reference for your situation as I am only on 600mg for just 2 weeks upping from 400mg 5weeks before that and upping from 200mg about 13weeks ago.I take it for IBS pain and as a nerve block.I also take Mirtzapine for anxiety/depression and Tramadol for pain.I totally understand the frustration of daily pain especially going up and down.Morning are the worst because you haven't had in meds overnight and once your body wakes up ,boom, here comes the pain and then the anxiety about having to go thru another day of pain,etc.You know what I mean.I know it's cliche,but hang in there and trust in God.That's how I hang on from day to day.God Bless You,Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.