Mislead regarding dvt

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I am an active  44 year old female. I had a knee scope done in May and two weeks later was in er diagnosed with dvt. Upon ultra sounds two veins are completely blocked from knee down. I was referred to vascular surgeon who told me nothing he can do for me since it was below knee, return to work, and take Tylenol for pain. I left his office in tears. I can't stand, walk, sit, or have anyone touch my leg. My leg is sensitive to the touch. My calf throbs, my foot aches, and now my groan is starting to hurt. My pcp did an ultra sound on my upper leg and ruled out dvt. Seems no Drs in Michigan know of dvt pain or experienced with this. Any suggestions?. Thanks so much

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessica, very sorry that this has happened to you. I have no medical qualifications but your doctors advice does seem a little odd.  I assume you are on anti coagulant medication?  That is an absolute must to stop the clot getting bigger.  It is not a treatment for the clot itself, you have to wait for your body to break it up naturally but you need to take the medication to stop more clots or it getting bigger.  Have you been considered for a stocking?  Compression stockings do reduce the pain and make the leg much more comfortable. You need to be properly measured for one.  My clot was from the back of my knee, up my thigh, through my groin and across my abdomen, the vein was almost totally blocked, I had virtually  no pulse in my foot, they washed the clot away with an Anjio-jet and my leg is now 90% back to normal.  I believe an anjio-jet can be used in clots above and below the knee although I may be wrong.  They are used extensively in the USA although very rarely here in the UK due to their cost. I also had a stent put in to open up the vein as I had a mild case of Mary Turner syndrome.  Rest with the leg up is essential after a clot, if you  have a job that entails sitting or standing for long periods its not good at all. i was encouraged to walk as and when I felt comfortable with it but absolutely  no sitting or standing for longer than a few minutes.  DVTS are very common, I find it very difficult to understand that there are no doctors in Mitchigan with an experience of one.  
    • Posted

Hello and thank you for your message. I do wear the stockings which were fit for me professionally. I am on a blood thinner and I am currently still off work. I just don't understand the pain and the sensitivity that I am experiencing. Like I said two months since dvt was found and symptoms are getting worse

• Posted

Sounds like you are doing all you cant then, post thrombotic syndrome is the real worry after a clot but much less likely if the clot is below the knee.  Always keeping your leg raised is very important and walking what you feel comfortable with as other veins need to be opened to take over the job of the damaged ones.   It takes many months to get over a DVT, even after having mine washed out it was about 4 months before I began to feel better with it and a year to 18 months before it was good.  
    • Posted

Not so common no, I have taken this from a web site.  

The third problem of blood clots in the calf is that once a vein is blocked with a clot, other veins will need to take over the role of the blocked vein. Sometimes this can cause long term swelling of the leg which can be uncomfortable and lead to skin changes including ulcers (this is called Post Thrombotic Syndrome or PTS. Fortunately PTS is uncommon in clots that are limited to the veins of the calf.

I walked as soon as I could to open up those veins.  Its two years since my DVT and I walk every day, a minimum of three miles, up to 10.  

• Posted

This link will explain what might be happening in your case. 

Although I dislike their use of the term ‘blood thining’. Anticoagulants do not thin the blood, they affect clotting time. 

Pete

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) as it was broken. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

It worked for me. Anyway, just google ‘below knee dvt’ and find the article from Australia.

Below knee dvt’s are very rare, but usually owing to surgery. 

The risks of resultant pe are lower. That’s not to say that they are insignificant, 

I’m not sure about angiojet.   That’s usually used on arteries- not veins. But again, it is possible. 

But please do not think anticoagulants thin your blood..... like diluting it.... watering it down. That concept is wrong wrong wrong. Anticoagulants work by altering the prothrombin time. 

There are various drugs that do this. None of them make your blood ‘watery’. 

Dvts are scary things, but it’s important to understand them - and the medication to treat and prevent them. 

Google is awash with info.... a lot of it misleading. Most doctors, because of their extensive training, can identify a dangerous presentation. 

That’s not to say they always get it right. 

My first dvt was diagnosed as sciatica. 

The second as ‘muscle strain’. 

D dimer tests these days make for a quick and reliable method of raising an alarm. 

Negative d dimer = < 0.1% of a dvt. 

A positive d dimer shouts out loud. 

Pete 

• Posted

Thanks so much. Appreciate all your advice and knowledge

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.