Misophonia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all, I think I am developing this, and I wondered if anyone else experienced it?  For about 3 years now, I have been sensitive to noise and noticed if people called my name, I'd jump.  I hate sirens, things clattering and just odd noises on occasion but its the TV through the floor that really triggers me.  Could this be yet another symptom of the menopause?  Someone has suggested that it's also connected with having nothing in one's life (I work and that's it, pretty much) and therefore a fixation occurs on a noise.  So it could be that as well.  I know I'm not coping brilliantly with the menopause and it may be that the sudden onset of anxiety is causing this problem or it could be the other way around,

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

There are a lot of misses while in perimenopause/menopause. It is not uncommon to feel sensitive to noise. I literally had to take out the tv from the room since my hubby likes watching tv all night long, and there was no way I could listen to music no matter how soft it was, until my friends and hubby pulled me out of it. Having a support group really helps. Going out and doing different activities, taking trips and being in the crowd makes the symptoms easier to cope with.
    • Posted

Do you think you will get over it?  I am going to start going out more and get some more interests going but I'm hoping it will go eventually.

• Posted

I'm completely over it. My support group wouldn't leave me alone, they were constantly asking me to go somewhere with them or walk or go to a store, or just to put gas in the car. Anything to get me out and about and within about year give or take a few months later I was over it.

• Posted

Hi sochima.  How did you  find a support group?   I wish I had some friends like that.  I would probably be functioning a lot better right now
    • Posted

A support group is anyone, friends or/and family who are keeping you in mind that they're going to help you get out of the slump.

• Posted

Thanks sochima.  I don't know very many people where I live.  I just have you ladies.  And I have a therapist I go to occasionally.

• Posted

I've been trying to find groups, but they all cost money in one way or another.  But for my sanity, I am trying to find other things to do.  I have also downloaded a free app on my phone and tablet which produces white noise.  I'm hoping that this will help.  There are noises all around me which should be background stuff and it's like having someone run fingernails down a chalk board.  Bass noises are so bad.  

Have you tried your local church?  I am an atheist but perhaps I am missing some spirituality in my life, so I'm thinking about going along - it's not that I dislike the Christian faith, I just don't believe in a god.  Christmas is a more 'churchy' time for my whole family, and I don't wish to lose that altogether.

• Posted

yes Mayfly, I'd say sensitivity to noise is another lovely peri symptom. I have it amongst lots of other symptoms and I know other woman who have or have had it during the change. It will eventually subside when our body's adapt and settle down

Best wishes xx

• Posted

Oh good, I'm hoping to lose it as it's quite intrusive.  I'm waiting for the HRT to kick in but I think I may need something to help cope with the symptoms meanwhile.  

• Posted

If the HRT hasn't started working after say 2 weeks, you will need to try something else. I tried 3-4 different hrt pills until I found the right one for my body. When I found the right one my body immediately calmed down, within a week all my symptoms were gone maybe even sooner.

• Posted

I've only been taking them for four days.  I don't think they have started working yet, although the hot flushes may have died down.  I've been doing very physical things today so it's difficult to tell.

• Posted

Hey mayfly.  Yes me too.  I can't listen to the radio in my car anymore and I don't like riding with my husband anywhere bc he likes to listen to it.  I am trying to listen to some soft music around the house now to lift some depression.  Crazy symptoms!

• Posted

Oh I can relate. No one understands that when I am quietly working at my desk and they suddenly slam the door, it completely startles me. But, I've had that my whole life. The other day someone was unpacking boxes and every time she emptied one, she threw it down the hall, landing near my office. I was jumping out of my skin. I finally closed my office door (so much for the open door policy)!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.