Misplacing things?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, am wondering if anyone can help me understand something that happened a couple of days ago. My husband who is 68 misplaced a bottle of rum the other night and the whole episode is driving me crazy. I was out shopping at the time and came home and found him watching t.v. enjoying  a drink of rum which is not unusual. I was only gone one hour, so he could not of had more than one or two. Now the next day he worked all day and came home before supper and said he was going to pour himself a drink but could not find his bottle?? I have gone through my house looking for that bottle at least ten times, attic, basement, garage etc... even went through all the garbage 🤦🏻???🤦🏻???🤦🏻??? I am making myself ill about it, he said it was full and I know he did not have more than one or two drinks that night, so I know he was not drunk. He keeps saying it will show up, like where will it show up? He has shown signs in the last couple of years that have worried me, using the wrong words is sentences, not sharp with his money sometimes, just old age right? But one episode that happened about five years ago now  has me worried. He was at work and forgot where he was and how he got there, finally made it home and was very frightened by the the whole thing. I took him to the hospital and they said they could see nothing wrong. Could that of been the start of some kind of dementia? I could really use some help, I am very worried about all this. He doesn’t seem concerned at all. Any input would be so appreciated. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would say he needs checked for dementia.  My husband has vascular dementia and was given a written test to determine that.  He misplaces things, is bad with money, can't reason well, has a bad temper, memory loss, lack of emotion, seems distant from me in general.  He blames it on everything but usually me.  It has made me change also because he is not the same person I married and I am just supposed to suck it up which I do most of the time.  I get nothing from him.  I ask for a dinner for our 40th. wedding anniversary and it was a big no but we had one for his 65th. birthday and he was happy as a lark.  He wasn't as selfish before as he is now and I think it's because he can't reason how to manage money.  We are on SS and he gets $100. per month so he can buy small things when he's out.  He says he doesn't want the money but before he had it he was asking me if we had the money to buy a can of starting fluid.  I am doing to much as it is let alone be his bookkeeper.  This is a very stressful life.  I have considered going to a meeting of spouses of dementia patients but there aren't any in our area.  I wish you lots of luck!!

• Posted

Thank you Sandy, my husband does not acknowledge our anniversary and even though he knew it was my birthday last week, he forgot to say Happy Birthday. He is not the same man that I married, he is also short tempered and rude. He would never agree to be tested, way too proud. I am hoping that this is nothing but fear the worst.
  • Posted

Hi Charline,

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. This could be the start of dementia, but on the other hand, it could just be down to the normal decline in cognitive powers due to ageing.

I'm 74, live alone, and recognise many of the things you've described in myself. This has been going on for at least 10 years now, but I can't honestly say it's getting any worse. I've asked close friends to be honest with me, and they say the same thing. The only remark some of them have made is that I'm tending to get a bit more reclusive these days, though I'm still always up for an outing.

I regularly misplace things around the house, temporarily forget how to operate household appliances, and lose my words with infuriating frequency. I too lost my way home from the office one day two years ago, and ended up sitting on a park bench, half a mile or so off my route, weeping. However, I believe that may have been due to an idiosyncratic response to a powerful probiotic my doctor had suggested I take. Apart from an occasional moment of confusion in the street, lasting only seconds, there's been no repeat of this episode.

I've also held down a demanding voluntary job in a mental health centre for the past eight years - involving both client contact and considerable admin responsibilities. Neither my colleagues nor my supervisor (a clinical psychologist) have ever made any adverse comments about my work.

I see you say you took your husband to the hospital after the incident at work, and they found nothing wrong. I'm wondering what tests they did: neuropsychological testing, CT scan, MRI...? If he's been thoroughly investigated in the past year or so, it doesn't sound as if it's anything too serious.

I'm not saying this is nothing at all. It could well be the start of dementia. These symptoms could also be down to depression, which not uncommonly starts in old age - especially in men facing retirement. There could also be non-neurological physical causes. Just as one example, an underactive thyroid is often wrongly diagnosed as incipient dementia in the elderly, as it tends to cause brain fog. This is very easily reversed with a daily pill provided you don't wait too long. I have an underactive thyroid myself - successfully treated for the past eight years - and have sometimes wondered whether this has been responsible for some of my lapses. But there are other medical conditions that can cause forgetfulness and behavioural changes in old age.

Since your husband agreed to go to the hospital over the incident at work, would it not be possible to get him to see your doctor for a general check-up? After all, most 68-year-olds get regular health checks. It would be a shame if his health became permanently damaged by an undiagnosed condition.

• Posted

Thank you Sandy, my husband does not acknowledge our anniversary and even though he knew it was my birthday last week, he forgot to say Happy Birthday. He is not the same man that I married, he is also short tempered and rude. He would never agree to be tested, way too proud. I am hoping that this is nothing but fear the worst.
  • Posted

It is important to make a proper diagnosis so that you'll know what's causing him to do that or make mistakes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.