Missed 1 dose and feel awful

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking citalopram since september. started on 10mg and increased to 20 mg after 4 weeks even though felt slightly better but not completely right . had horrible side effects on 20 mg so went back to 10mg and felt brilliant, back to normal. Then went away for the night and forgot tablets. literally i missed one dose and have gone nearly back to the beginning. its like all the side effects have happened again. lethargy, fuzzy head, retching, anxiety . this is nearly a week since the missed dose. Is this normal? Ive taken citalopram before and each time it seems to take longer

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

why is it if you took it before why not stay on it.i don't get it.isnt it more debilitating to go on meds only to come off again.just curious.

• Posted

i had post natal depression 6 yrs ago. then i had another bout of depression 3 years ago. I guess i am like a lot of people in that once you feel better, you think you can cope without pills. This time its seems to be more anxiety so I dont know if its trickier to stabilse.

• Posted

what ever your reason is for the meds is still the same med.and usually it takes longer second time around.

• Posted

Why does it mean that just because you take it then you should stay on it for life? I've been on it for 2 yrs and it's done it's job. Have now halved my dose from 20mg to 10mg very slowly . I fully intend to reduce to zero and will never touch the stuff again.

• Posted

thats your decision.i would never come off my celexa.to only go back on.no way.iam staying on for life.

• Posted

well said gerrymoo! if you no longer need them why stay on them, at the end of the day not enough is known about taking these pills long term and the implications on your health, i stupidly stayed on them for 6 plus years and im going through hell trying to get off them but im determined, good luck x

• Posted

the problem is you do need them.you think you dont but you do.good luck toria.at least i need them.

• Posted

Thanks Toria, I'm now down to a tiny edge of a tablet. I've stopped feeling groggy and occasionally nauseous too. I just couldn't imagine how awful I would feel if I forgot to take them or was in a situation where I didn't get my usual dose. I truly will never take them again after going through sheer hell to get stabilised.

How are you doing?

• Posted

hey lovely, its awful isnt it, im still trying to get stable, have every symptom imaginable grrrrrrr

• Posted

Hi Maggie,The reason you are getting side effects is not because you missed a dosage ,it is because you went from 10mgs too 20 mgs too fast.You should have stayed on 10 mgs allot longer like 6/8 weeks and not only 4 weeks,that is where you went wrong.I was a psychiatric nurse for 8 yrs before i retired

• Posted

Hi Maggie,The reason you are getting side effects is not because you missed a dosage ,it is because you went from 10mgs too 20 mgs too fast.You should have stayed on 10 mgs allot longer like 6/8 weeks and not only 4 weeks,that is where you went wrong.I was a psychiatric nurse for 8 yrs before i retired

• Posted

• Posted

SOMETHING has happened with my message,so i will re type it again.

Maggie,the reason you have had side effects is not caused by missing 1 dose

It is caused by you jumping from 10mgs too 20 mgs after 4 weeks.now that you

now gone back to 10 mgs ,i would suggest that you should stay on 10 mgs

for another 8/.10 weeks and see how you feel

• Posted

i agree that jumping from one dosage was too quick but missing 1 tablet and then going backwards seems too much of a coincidence. Today, i just laid on my bed. hopefully the tiredness and lack of interest reduces or Christmas is going to difficult.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.