Missed a dosage and couldn't sleep...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm probably asking a very obvious question here but...I've been taking Amitriptyline 50mg for nearly 4 weeks - some nights half a tab or slightly more as the side effects were leaving me very drowsy next day.

Anyway last night I didn't take one and couldn't sleep a wink - not even with a zopiclone. Is this normal? I was going to switch to an SSRI this weekend but not sure how to manage a withdrawal...

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. With amitriptyline it's best to withdraw very slowly. In my experience much more slowly than the doctor suggested! I cut down by 10mg at at time. In fact at one point I cut the tablets in half and did 5mg at a time. I left at least a week between each drop in dose.Don't just stop. Do it gradually. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Hi mooma thanks for the advice...can amitriptyline and Sertraline be taken together I.e. Evening and morning respectively?
    • Posted

I take them both at night, right before going to bed, and was never advised to not do so by my psychiatrist or my primary doctor. But I'm in the US, so I'm not sure if different information is used or what.
  • Posted

Not sure David. If you ring the pharmacist they would be able to tell you. Only take amitriptyline in evening though as it will make you v drowsy. Xx
  • Posted

Hi David,

I'm on amitriptyline 50mg at night and it is important to take it at the same time each day. I suspect your inability to sleep was due to missing your tablet.  My doseage is for neuropathic pain caused by Fibromyalgia, I have an SNRI to deal with depression and anxiety.  

Please see your doctor prior  to any medication changes as they will be following  the NICE (If in the UK) guidlines. NICE provides evidence based guidance and advice for health, public health and social care practitioners. Also your doctor can help you titrate down off the Amitriptyline safely or give advice regarding time of taking. 

I have found that taking my Amitriptyline at 11pm, my bedtime, did not help me sleep as I was not getting drowsy until 4am.  I then experimented by taking it earlier and have found that, for me, the ideal time was 8pm.  I now tend to start nodding off by 1am, this suits me fine.  My partner also suffers with Fibromyalgia and he was on 25mg, I told him about my experience and he now takes his at 5pm, he's ready to sleep about 10pm.  He spoke to his doctor about his drowsy mornings and the doctor has reduced his dose to 20mg which seems to suit him better.

I hope you can find what works for you really soon.

Kindest regards,

Pink

• Posted

I take 50mgs and I sleep very well but it makes me feel drowsy in the morning, so if I am at work I don't take it.  Other than that no side effects
    • Posted

My boyfriend says that by taking his earlier and 5mg's less means that he gets the sleep and isn't drowsy in the morning. This is important as he drives and cannot afford to be less than alert before venturing out into the rush hour traffic.

Take good care smile

• Posted

It's all a bit of trial and error to see what works for each of us. I hope you're not feeling as drowsy in the mornings now Mary.

I wish you all the best,

Gin 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.