Missed a week of my Citalopram !! Starting again ! Please help

Posted , 2 users are following.

hey guys... ive been on 40 mg of celexa for 3 years for my horrible panic and anxiety. i recently went to my dr and told her that i thought i might need something for my adhd as well since i am so scatter brained and thought maybe adhd meds would help. she told me because of my history with anxiety that she didnt want to put me on a stimulant like adderall. she insisted i quit taking the celexa and start wellbutrin. i asked her if i needed to taper off the celexa first snd she told me "no just start taking the wellbutrin tomorrow and quit the celexa" so i did that... first 6 days were great, had lots of energy ... then day 7 came around and i had horrible panic and anxiety. the same way i felt before starting celexa. i called her to tell her how i felt and she told me to just start the 40 mg of celexa again. its been 7 days since starting my celexa again and im still super anxious and panicky ...since i stopped celexa for a week and then started it again , will it take a few weeks to level me out again like the first time??

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Ive been there and done that...went off citalopram then realized I need something for anxiety still.... went on Wellbutrin, and all hell broke loose! Wellbutrin is a stimulant and should never be given to people with anxiety. I also developed really bad heartburn from the Wellbutrin. Some people really like well wellbutrin because it helps them but it is an energy type anti-depressant which doesn't really work for people who have anxiety. If the citalopram was helping you before, I would go right back on it and just remember you will probably have withdrawals from the wellbutrin and start up side effects from the citalopram all over again. Unless you're very very lucky. It may take a weeks, but if you hang in there, you will stabilize again, maybe ask for a benzo to help get you through the worst of the anxiety until the medication settles again..... once you reinstate the citalopram, at least the withdrawal from the citalopram should get better. That's what I eventually did but it took a few months of being off and on different meds before I finally just went back to my citalopram and waited it out. It took weeks for me to balance out again. However, everybody is different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.