Missed beats when lying down

Posted , 6 users are following.

If someone could please help me I would be grateful..I notice that when I lay down on my back immediately after exercise my heart misses a beat every two or three beats. This lasts only for seconds but it's worrying me. Is this normal? Why does this happen?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Lying on my left side is what I avoid, because it tends to trigger off PAC's (atrial ectopics). Bodily postures are also fairly common triggers- stretching and bending, for example. Seems to stimulate the vagus nerve. Symptoms far more common and widespread than one could imagine - hence this forum. Some people find that disciplined breathing exercises can help; others find relief by taking magnesium capsules.

Regards, Donald

• Posted

hello eli.

Even a Dr wont be able to tell you exactly what is the cause of  your symptons without catching the arrhythmia on an ECG. I was fixed up with a 7 day monitor on TWO occasions before we  caught the missed beats.

• Posted

Hi Linda, so may I ask what they think causes your missed beats? Mine haven't been caught on holter. Something was caught on ECG...my doc said it was 'something to do with the atria', and that she didnt understand!! and that was after speaking to a cardiologist!! So I'm none the wiser.

• Posted

Hullo Julie,

My arrhythmia is called Benign Ventricular ectopic beats. ("benign" meaning they wont kill me !!) Normally the electrical impulse arises in The Right Atrium  , the atria contract, then the impulse travels down to the ventricles and  THEY contract.  With BVE's a rogue impulse arising from somewher else cuts in .....like an electrical short , only it doesnt contribute to cardiac output....its just like a spasm ,buggers up the rhythm and makes you feel horrible. Sorry I cannot explain it better in this small space.  I think in this modern day the Doctors havent got the time or patience to go through it all with you. I used to be a cardiac nurse so I know the anatomy and physiology of it (not that it helps any!!!.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.