Missed Dose of Warfarin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All,

I have missed a dose will this help me get back to my target or completly mess up my INR ?

Thanks I have no idea.

Andy

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Missing a dose will change your INR, maybe by a large margin. Contact your surgery and have an earlier than planned re-test. Don't take any unnecessary risks. INR too high and you risk a dangerous bleed. Too low and you are at risk of a stroke

• Posted

You should be fine...my husband missed doses and it didn't make a huge difference to INR, so long s next dose is taken as usual. If you are worried go get a test...we bought a coagucheck machine in the end and did it ourselves...much less stress and no more going to hospital or surgery every few days

• Posted

Thanks kindly for your reply the idea of getting a coagucheck machine is a great idea. Where do you buy such from ?

Regards,

Frank

• Posted

I bought my CoaguChek online direct from Roche. Their back up team are excellent. If like me you are on Warfarin for life, there is no need to pay the VAT. My GP gives me a prescription for the strips you drip the blood onto, and the needles to fit the pricking device that comes with the machine. I e-mail the results to my nurse at the surgery and she e-mails the dosages back. Works very well indeed. I've done it for 3 years now. 

• Posted

Put coagucheck into the search engine and it will come up...you buy them directly from the manufacturer.

It is so easy to use and means you never have to worry about missing a day at your gp or hospital. you can take it on holiday and everywhere.

They aren't cheap...but by golly...it made a huge difference to our lives. It paid for itself in lost work days in less then 6 months

• Posted

Thanks kindly for your help, yes not inexpensive but I shall get one all depending on my GP advice. The lost time just sitting in a seat  to be called very annoying. So many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Andy

• Posted

Your GP will try very hard to talk you out of it...they get paid for every warfarin test they do! Some also think us 'incapable' of sticking a lancet in our finger (diabetics do it all the time!!!). Stick to it and insist you are supplied with the lancets and the test slips on the NHS...Our life became pretty well normal once starting testing at home. If the INR too high lower dose for one go...if too low up a dose for one go...and re-test next morning...so easy. Kept constant test result for over 5 years.

• Posted

I'd forgotten about the VAT...your right, we didn'y pay it either...saved £60!

• Posted

Thanks so much I am going to see my GP in a few weeks I just hope she gives the go ahead for this !

Kind regards,

Andy

• Posted

Thanks for that so there compelling  reasons to go for this now.
    • Posted

Wondering if you have any tips on how to get a successful reading using CoaguCheck device.   We got the machine and training from an anti-coagulation nurse just prior to an out-of-the-country trip.   The training went well and my husband felt confident, but now we are having trouble.  He is getting an Error 5.  Any suggestions?   We're almost out of test strips :-( 

• Posted

All I can suggest is testing with a new a strip, can you contact the producer of this or maybe the nurse ?

Regards,

• Posted

Error 5 means there isn't enough blood on the strip. I was advised to wash my hands in very hot water and stroke the finger to get blood flowing to the top. Also turn the fingerprick device up to its highest setting. Hold it firmly against your finger. If you can't see a large drop of blood, don't waste the strip. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.