Missed period and peri menopause nausea?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm in my early 40s and haven't yet officially been diagnosed with peri menopause, but I've been wondering if it can cause severe nausea and dizzyness as your periods become more irregular?

My period is two weeks late, and in the early hours of monday morning when I got up to go to the loo I felt very dizzy, and when I got back in bed I suddenly started shaking and felt hot for several minutes. Later on when I woke up, I vomited and couldn't tolerate sitting up or standing so had to go back to bed as I felt fine lying down.

I was sick again a few hours later when I tried to get up, and I didn't feel like eating so went back to bed again.

Early tuesday evening and I've been in bed for two days and not eaten a thing until now (I'm forcing down a slice of toast) and the nausea seems to have gone but i still have to stand up slowly or I still feel a little dizzy.

Something similar happened last year when my period was a month late, but the feelings only lasted a few hours and there was no vomiting.

So, is this kind of thing common when you are approaching the menopause?

Oh, and there is no way I'm pregnant as im not sexually active.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Yup!! When I started perimenopause that is exactly how I felt..nauseous so bad that I could not eat (i would chew food but could not swallow it because i felt i was gonna throw up). I also got so dizzy at times that I felt I was walking on uneven ground. From what I have read it is totally normal and due to fluctuating hormones

• Edited

Ok, thanks for answering! I'd never heard of that before because the focus seems to fixed on things like hot flushes, anxiety etc. Feeling much better now as I've semi started my period.

• Posted

I am soon to be 43 and think I am in peri! As far as labs, my practitioner says that I am definetely there even though I still have my period every 25-28 days. I do get the nausea and it can be debilitating sometimes. I just started yesterday and have been having abdominal cramping and diarrhea for three days before my period and am still experiencing it. Do you all deal with this?

• Posted

I've just experienced this with my last period. Still have a dull headache but the diarrhea was a new thing. I started peri 3 years ago at 42. I was never really diagnosed as Peri but an overnight stay after several trips to the ER and every test imaginable said I was fine. I'm currently looking for a new doctor as mine doesn't seem to believe hormones can cause these symptoms. These new symptoms coming up start up my anxiety during this pandemic and I'm just hoping its peri since these symptoms are similar. I keep saying give it time wait for a few day after the period to pass to really see. I check my temperature like crazy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.