Mistake of taking Zoplicone to help with sleep in Diazapam Withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I thought id share my experiences as it may help some one deal with the withdrawal from either or both these drugs having been a user of both substituting one for the other usually zoplicone for diazapam as it was cheaper ... yeah i know not good . But Ive been tapering and finally jumped off diazapam on 2nd oct 2019.

Well.... be prepared withdrawal cab take a long time. Most likely if you've become physically dependent ( something that can happen even without addiction on prescription and very very quickly for some) for me 1 tablet is all it takes to be physically dependent again. I think this is called kindling or just the way it is for me I don't really know it is what it is and its best avoided.

I found a taper very hard due to withdrawal symptoms near the lower end as low as about 30 / 35 mg even. I got to twenty and jumped off ( not medically recommended but i told my gp anyway just in case as i had once collapsed from cold turkey but from a higher much higher dose.

It felt the same as the higher dose except i dint collapse and nearly die in A and E ! They thought i had sepsis ( as had a UTI ) ,what looked like a rash / severe bruising all over and low blood pressures# at that point and collapsed and was totally detached from reality. That collapse is one of the worse experiences of my life. Plus I'd been pumped with antibiotics as at that point ( on a possibly wrong sepsis diagnosis ) once found by police and ambulance ( my mum filed a missing persons to police )- the rash being possibly my crawling around on bare needs to bleeding point trying to get help in the apartments at home . Think scratchy hallway carpets !!,the drugs Zoplicone and Diazapam most likely didn't show up on tests at that point and this caused a cytokine storm, which they then tried to deal with. I'm not sure what the lasting damage is but cytokine storm is really bad it can and often kills as its some blood cells from your immune response attacking your own ( all of them ) internal organs. ( I can expand on that if need be if anyone asks ). I couldn't explain myself as i was in another world basically for several days at my admission ( i recall nothing except the nightmare I thought was real ) and woke with amnesia for months after. It wasn't good, like your worse ever nightmare that you cant wake up from! I was about the die in my head at the hands of an under cover manic who was making v films of people being experimented on often torture and death. You can imagine the rest . But don't if your withdrawing lol as you panic about every single thing in withdrawal you just have to try and accept this will happen and tell yourself it will be long but it will pass. You are not having true feelings or responses in withdrawal , your panic is in overdrive, your worry is in overdrive, your insomnia is in overdrive etc etc body pains , pains in stomach the list can be endless . You even can hallucinate when your conscious think patterns on walls carpets , your brain making the wrong conclusion about what your seeing especially of you havn't got your glasses or contacts in. These are all potential withdrawal symptoms I don't have any underlying psychotic illness at all, its just the severity of withdrawal. NOT everyone will get this ! I did jump off at like 100mg or higher and had been doing that dose a long time. It seriously isn't recommended. Even 20mg is probably too much but Id had enough by then. All Id say is get medical assistance and the rest is up to you what you do but its still a big big risk. I still went through just about everything from 20mg except i didn't lose consciousness. But I havn't slept for like 22 days now ... at last 3 hours last night thank god, but its not nearly enough! I'm irritable as hell , my mum doesn't know what to do with me sometimes at all, I can be abusive , I've mouthed off at my mum numerous times and I do really love her. I talk endlessly chattering on like I cant stop it if I start things like that. Its generally way too observant ... and smells and odours drive me insane ( not helped by living with her semi dementious doubly incontinent husband!!! She doesn't see the urine or poo still on the floor like I do and takes offence if I clean it with bleach ( somehow she feels the bleach is less preferable to the urine !! ) I speak the truth ( which can cause problems lol ), like telling my mum her breath smells and thinking its for the best she knows this ... not good ( avoid work if your like this lol, avoid any situation you have to be polite or professional ! I even succumbed to getting a few zoplicone a week ago as Id told myself I just cant carry on with this I probably actually NEED this drug. Big mistake took me basically back to my diazapam withdrawal and the symptoms were bad again just like they were at the beginning of the cold turkey or there about. I'm 6 days post the zopi now and my stomach pain is giving me a break this morning. Ive noticed it comes in waves too, I get windows like this when Im semi ok and then BAM it hits again. Ive read this is something again you have to be prepared for and not let it demoralize you. I've been to GP but I don't get on well with anti depressants, they cause bad night sweats in me that defeat the object as I just don't sleep. Otherwise they possibly were helping me at least with anxiety and depression. I recall Venlofaxine was good for my nerves but along with Citolapram and Escitoapram it caused horrific night sweats that prevented sleep. This may not be the case for everyone. Ive tried Metrazapine ( not as helpful and makes me hungry all the time ). Amitryptaline doesn't seem to help me, antihistamines do not sedate me and make my anxiety and irritability worse. Only possibly a bit of codeine makes the body ache a little more bearable ( but beware of constipation and your GP will possibly compare it to stronger opioids which personally I feel it isn't that strong and its annoying of GPs ( doctors ). I don't abuse codeine . Anyway that's a different issue I can see both sides of that argument but if your in pain your in pain! I've seen films about oxycontin and percocet and I'm more of the mind ( albeit incorrectly yet ) that the risk is more with them Oxycontin / stronger opoids morphine etc fentanyl by accident even, leading onto heroin and other opoids. I saw a film about this being speculated as the reason/ evidence for the crisis America. What did hit home was that even in one single seizure from 1 one batch of street oxycontin the pills were laced with fentanyl. Fentanyl is lethal in specks to a human but it went way above this. Its possibly as or even more addictive than heroin. ( I saw a great chart comparing all the opoids to morphine ). Fentanyl is not necessarily knocked off the receptors by the opoid antagonist nalaxone and many medics say it is Russian roulette if if works or not. ( Again this is a different issue but interesting I found and empowering ).

So in a nutshell I'm 23 days post diazepam withdrawal with a blip of zoplicone in the middle and today I feel a little better. I expect it will hit again later today, I guess I wont sleep much again and so on. This will for me take a long time. I did a similar withdrawal about 20 years ago, I was much younger and also took venlafaxine, christ I even worked through it but its been impossible this time.. I guess Im older, no venlafaxine and have way more health and money issues to keep me anxious than I did. I vowed never to take benzos again 20 years ago and never did, I guess I got complacent and someone offered them to me after a bad experience ... plus we dont know for sure if this person what spiking my food with benzos. It was a boyfriend con artist. I noticed th epills were always in his possession but I just said no way , but eventually I thought id get away with it... fast forward 2/3 years of addiction to benzos following taking a few for sleep while i was with him , loss of job house and suffering a great deal because of it. Id advise anyone never to take benzos or zoplicone ever. Initially I took zoplicone for sleep and couldn't get off them die to bad withdrawal so i just kept on with them, tolerance and high doses followed and then I went onto benzos in an attempt to taper (unsuccessfully at first even under drug counselling! ). I'm determined and have no choice really this time. Wishing all that go through this much love , don't beat yourself up.. It is what it is and I hope you all find the strength and support to get through it. I thought Id share my experience as it may help people out there. All the best. xxxx p.s. please excuse the spelling its a combination of losing cognitive skills and having to learn again to spell alot of things again and i find it a bit annoying and also to correct / relearn grammar at this point ! ( English grammar ).

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Just to confirm i cleared it with my gp first she knew what i was doing and said it was ok. Just shows the gp didnt have much of an idea . Yes i will strongly stress to anyone dont do this on my advise always get medical advice first. Mine is just a story of my experiences. It was more aimed at explaining about how taking zoplicone can set ( well me ) back to square one in withdrawal - it was not meant that anyone follow it. Please act on your care providers advice. What i did was risky I knew this from nearly dying at a high dose. It was my choice but not something id recommend. It ended up as an A and E visit but they didnt give me anything further in the middle of it and my gp took the same stance to let it continue. As awful as it was and still is... Sadly my gp didnt follow Ashton manual I had mentioned it and felt it was way to fast to cut down 5 mg a week but she wouldnt budge on the issue.

• Posted

Hi , you don't have to be an addict to suffer physical dependency which can occur alarmingly fast in any benzo even the so called non benzos such as zoplicone ( I get a similar withdrawal from both to be honest! even a clean supply from a gp!). It seems to be a drug that most people maybe and I mean maybe... maybe..... can hit and quit once in a lifetime if for a few days only . Otherwise the person will get withdrawal from dependency on lt's own. Addiction is a whole other kettle of fish and the two are frequently misused or interchanged and they are not the same thing. Im interested if you get any symptoms from quitting your frisium ? I had to look it up sounds like a benzo. Please share your experiences if you can.

• Posted

Ive been to see my gp since the A and E visit last week and pleaded that we do this more slowly and reinstate the benzo but she said no and there was no changing her opinion. I wanted to do it slower to be honest but she didnt appreciate the risks or my suffering that was last week. I know and agree what your saying my gp 20 years ago tapered things better but i didnt know the tapering dose. Like i said i didnt mean to say it was acceptable . I know its dangerous but what could i do if gp wont help in it! Ive pretty much turned a corner last few days . I agree Ashton is better and safer and think more gps should follow this. Im not sure what UK NICE guidance is but it was all too steep. Probably why i did what I did in jumping off as it was an unachievable taper really, certainly very unrealistic. Ive posted this in the comments also so if anyone reads it they will understand hopefully the full picture. I even asked the drug councelling people if it was too fast but they said 5 mg is common. Dont get me wrong I think it was an outrageously steep taper. I even got mad at myself for feeling so bad during it . This is the last Im going to say on the matter. I dont feel I have to justify my experiences to be honest. PEOPLE FOLLOW ASHTON INSIST YOUR GP DOES OR AT LEAST GOES ON YOUR SYMPTOMS OR GO ELSEWHERE!!

• Posted

Hello Carol.

Thank you for sharing your valued insight and experience. It takes a brave person to tell it exactly like it is. Sadly it seems so easy for others to rant and rave and wave this Ashton manual about when really, just a kind and encouraging word would have been so much more helpful. As you journey on please take time be extra kind to your sweet self. Never ever beat yourself up & never let anyone else ever beat you up. This is your life, and your life matters. Sincerely, I am sending you a big hug & love & do so hope that your day today, will be a little better than yesterday. I hope your days ahead will slowly get better and that sooner than soon, you'll find your sweet self in a happier place. Strength, blessings, hugs & love for you. ♡♡♡

• Posted

Thank you , Im not so bothered about the negative comments . I just wanted to tell my story it wasn't medical advice. I think it was obvious and anyone would be an idiot to go through what I did . I nearly died the first time and the obvious phychosis and detachment occured. My gp doesn't seem to know nor didnt want to go down the Ashton route. I wish to God she had to be honest !!! I have read all about Ashton method and totally think its sound. However I was stuck with only getting meds from my gp as I have very little money now and my mum would be horrified if i bought and brought the drugs via her home. It would have been too much of a risk of losing my home here ( having lost my job - long story not all drugs related it was from a bona fide operation that resulted in severe pain and no one and I mean no one could solve it - it contributed to my low state and taking the pills in the first place to be honest ) . But anyway thank you for your comment it is much appreciated . My days are better and I actually got a little sleep last night. My gp prescribed the antidepressans I am on ....In fact she has gone through several types and Im thinking of ditching the current one to be honest. I only reiterated what my GP had given me but most SSRI and the other types for me give me horrendous night sweats so they defeat the object for me. I am well aware of the literature which is for and against using antidepressants in benzo withdrawal. Im not sure which side I fall on . Im a great believer in if it helps it helps. Im also aware there can be major mess ups like giving people zoplicone or Z drugs or short half life benzos in withdrawal. Im glad none of those were prescribed to me ( the zoplicone I took myself one night only ) and it led me back to the beginning of the withdrawal it was like day 5 or something very high intensity withdrawal symptoms which have been high for about a week now at more lower levels of intensity but still its there. All the best I see the information as everyone has a side of this , its healthy to have debate or discussion or different points of view. C xxx

• Posted

These forums are for users' personal experiences good or bad. We do not delete posts as long as they are just experiences and are not advocating dangerous practices which this post has not. Therefore there is no reason to take this down as it is Carol's experience which is being shared for other users benefit.

If anyone does think a post needs reviewing can you please just use the Report link to bring it to our attention, posting comments in the discussion only takes discussions off topic and puts others off joining in. I will be deleting the initial replies and hope this discussion can carry on being on topic.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

I'm putting this here although its just meant as a continuation of my controversial diazapam withdrawal blog as such. Apologies if its in the wrong place its meant for everyone not just a reply to Janey.

..... day 28/29 What has suprised me is how long this takes and how it fades but also at the same time waxes in intensity in withdrawal symptoms in and out. Usually the most intensity seems to be early morning non specific but say about 6/7 am I start with stomach pains in particular ( as this is my most hated withdrawal symptom as it really hurts on one side. I have adhesions on this side from an operation in 2016 and it feels the same as it did post surgery . It may be that the nerves are more sensitive here. They then fade about 10/11 am and stay away until about 7/8 pm when they come back. This is day 28/29! I can tell this waxing in and out is less so than it was ( think intense/ very very intense ( including delerium tremens and hallucinations in the early stages that were 24/7 for a week then very slightly and i mean very slightly less ( with some ramping up again in week 3 ) before dropping away but still quite bad around what Im now in is week 4/5. I was on a very very high dose for years self abuse and dose escalation before tapering down through my gp at last admitting this was out of control and needed dealing with and medical management and a taper. We also don't know for sure the dose as I was chaotic to say the least , had little memory or control at that time to even know the dosage and my supply was very dodgy. At least I know the dose and that it was a clean supply from my gp. Ive since seen lots of horror stories about the frequency of fentanyl being in pills sources elsewhere. Fentany is really really bad and alot of pills seem to be full of it be it sold as something else. I have to admit I took them at face value but I definitely don't any more. Its one more reason not to take them ( if not from a real in the flesh gp ) which I'm greatful for to be honest. You can tell yourself alot of lies when your seeking relief from withdrawal! I'm just putting in my experience out there ( I'm a bit paranoid now that anyone would follow ! ) please don't do this yourself it CAN and OFTEN is fatal. Stick to what your gp says and follow it however harsh. I'm only being allowed to do things as Ive passed the point of it being critical now. My gp thinks its best to go forward and I did bring up reinstatement of the diazepam through her but she thinks its best to press on now however uncomfortable as it could for me mean going backwards in the progress if I reinstate. To be fair she knows me better than I know myself . I know she is right. The point of this section of my journey was mainly to relate that it does wax in and out . Its something you have to be prepared for as you can start to think it will last forever and the devil in me says sometimes "this is hell you would be better going back on the pills !!". Ive ignored it and by morning light Im glad i didn't take its advice and face another day .... Strength be with anyone on this course. Much love C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.