Mitral regurgitation - am I at risk with COVID-19?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I have mild-moderate mitral regurgitation. I am 53yo, the situation is non-rheumatic, stable (due to a slender valve shape), my situation is stable I am otherwise healthy and fit.

I read online that "Patients who have heart valve abnormalities that are well compensated and well-tolerated at baseline, are more susceptible to heart failure if they were to become infected with coronavirus. Because of the underlying heart valve issues, if damage to the pumping chamber of the heart were to occur, patients would be less able to tolerate that."

Am I at greater risk of developing severe illness should I be infected? (Should I take greater than usual precautions so as not to get infected?)

I would really appreciate any answer you could provide.

Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Arturo,

The belief out there is that the elderly , those with heart conditions and chronic medical problems need to protect themselves from getting infected with this virus. I think we all need to protect ourselves no matter our particular health status until this virus is properly investigated. It is a new virus and not much is known about its behaviour.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.