mitral valve insufficeancy and anemia

Posted , 2 users are following.

high I had a blood test in October that showed my hb was 2 and was given liquid iron as I cant take the tablets, but have had another blood test recently and my hb is still only 5, I want to ask for an iron infusion but have never had one before, I'm worried due to my heart valve problem as I read that being anemic over long periods can cause damage apparently, I have to take iron every year due to heavy periods last time I was anemic was jan this year got my hb back up, now its low again I did have an op in june though, should I ask for infusion or carry on with liquid iron?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

can I ask what your ferritin is?

as this would determine whether your anaemia was iron defienciency..

or. B12 

• Posted

hi sally

​I am low on iron I get mixed up I think it is the ferretin that is 5.  my gp just told me that my iron level is 5.

• Posted

Ok that’s makes sense .. I have had a ferinject iron infusion as my ferritin was 6 and like you my stomach can’t tolerate the tablets .. ferinject pretty much doesn’t cause nausea it can cause a headache feeling hot and aching bones as your bone marrow is working overtime .. I got very hot .. I only had 200 ml dose and my ferritin went up to 9 from 6 .. the bigger dose is 1000ml and they want to give me another infusion if my ferritin doesn’t improve back on the liquid iron like you .. 

if you can get referred to blood management team at your local hospital they will assess you and give you an infusion if they felt it would start to damage your vital organs 

hope that helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.